No reverse or fog lights on new LED tail-lights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

No reverse or fog lights on new LED tail-lights

Post by Aquavalver »

I bought some LED tail-lights for my Blue GT around a year ago and they are meant to be for the 6R (it said Polo 2009-2014). I bought them in UK and it said they were insurance approved and didn't say anything about them being for LHD drive cars. I only just fitted them last Sunday due to waiting to start doing the mods on my car. However there seems to be no fog-light or reverse lights. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem and how I could sort them?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: No reverse or fog lights on new LED tail-lights

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, I can understand why you are in this situation, ie buying in parts then some time later after everything has arrived, you go to fit them - and something just was not as advertised!

Can you not chat to the seller about that, sorting his out would involve splitting open the rear light clusters and bodging in some extra suitable LEDs, not for the faint hearted, very annoying!!
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

Did you buy them from Trade-Vehicle-Parts on eBay?

They only give you a warranty for 30 days, bit surprising for "insurance approved"parts, and won't budge on that.
I bought a set of tail lights from them and the reflector on one side has faded and is now a kind of pinky orange after 11 months and they won't do anything about it.
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

SimonPoole wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:05 pm Did you buy them from Trade-Vehicle-Parts on eBay?

They only give you a warranty for 30 days, bit surprising for "insurance approved"parts, and won't budge on that.
I bought a set of tail lights from them and the reflector on one side has faded and is now a kind of pinky orange after 11 months and they won't do anything about it.

Yes, I did actually! I finally sussed it out when I took them off again and opened the backs. It looks like someone has bought them before and had the same problem as me and tried messing around as 3 wires had been cut and then not even soldered or joined using connectors-the copper wires each side of the cut wires had just wrapped around each other and then electrical tape loosely wrapped around them! Anyway, when I check the plugs from the car and then the pins on the lights, I realised that the drivers side matched the passenger side light and vice-versa, meaning they are LHD lights! Not amused and after looking around it seems all of this style light are only available in LHD, but I did find a seller in Asia that said they could convert them to RHD if needed. The wiring was the same on each light. There doesn't seem to be much choice for RHD aftermarket lights which is strange as UK isn't the only country to have RHD cars