DAB Radio Issue

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Carbon
New
Drives: 2016 GTi

DAB Radio Issue

Post by Carbon »

Hey all,

I've got a 2016 GTi and a few months ago my DAB started displaying no signal. I've reset the radio and it came back but only briefly. It will work sometimes for only for a few minutes then just cut to no signal. The FM side of things works without issue. I haven't moved to a new area or anything like that. Also when I search for stations after a reset it will only find certain ones whether it's National etc.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue and if so how did you fix it.

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: DAB Radio Issue

Post by RUM4MO »

I've probably suggested this a few times, so once again, without any diagnostic equipment one cheap way to isolate if the fault is the radio or the aerial/amplifier, is to buy a cheap powered DAB aerial intended to be stuck to the windscreen. I did that once when I changed a non DAB radio to a DAB equivalent, aerial amplifier bits were purchased after I fitted the DAB radio and put in place the new aerial lead and got the CP removed, so I just draped the cheap aerial over the headrest on the passenger side, plugged in the Fakr lead to the radio and without even connecting up the 12V power to the cheap aerial's built in amplifier, I found that the radio worked perfectly - and I tended to drive in a "poor" DAB reception area and well as a "good" one.

So if you tried one of these aerials and everything worked, then that would point to an aerial cabling/connector or amplifier or actual aerial, if it does not work, then immediately you know that the fault will be in the "radio" module - off course actually with drawing the radio will allow you to see if all its connections are still okay, or that is where the fault lies then you could return the unopened cheap aerial to Halfords etc.
Carbon
New
Drives: 2016 GTi

Post by Carbon »

Thanks very much for your reply. I will give that a go.

The car is going in to get a service next week. If they have a diagnostic tool do you think they will be able to identify the issue before I start ripping it out?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

There will be a capability to read logged faults in the "radio" and so its aerial system, no doubt that will be an extra charge task though, but maybe worth it to help you with your fixing of this problem.
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

Hopefully not resurrecting an old thread for the hell of it, but have had this fault for a while.

I cleared the car error codes tonight. The car air conditioning pressure was too low, so I’ve topped up with refrigerant and put a can of stop leak through it, so that cleared.

Possibly related, is the car’s stop start system hasn’t worked for a week either. I know it’s related to outside temperature, car’s operating temperature, etc. A thread I read was related to the replacement of the infotainment system, but who knows. I’m working in the office tomorrow, a good 50 mile round trip, so it will get up to temperature. Anyway I’ll find out if clearing codes has helped that.

Back to the digital antenna. Here’s the error from VCDS.

Tuesday,31,May,2022,19:26:59:49227
Mileage: 73037km-45383mi Repair Order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 5F: Information Electr. Labels: 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
Control Module Part Number: 3Q0 035 820 HW: 3Q0 035 820
Component and/or Version: MU-S-D-ER H11 0137
Software Coding: 02620000BE00000011111201000808001F0100C60120010000
Work Shop Code: WSC 31414 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CTSAT 001018 (VW26)
ROD: EV_MUStd4CTSAT_VW26.rod
VCID: 6696BF1B48EBC98B553-8032
1 Fault Found:

0012 - Digital Radio Antenna
B1103 11 [009] - Short to Ground
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 118
Mileage: 73037 km
Date: 2022.05.31
Time: 19:23:07

Voltage terminal 30: 14.5 V
Status of digital radio antenna 1-Antenna current: 0 mA
Status of digital radio antenna 1-Connection between radio and antenna amplifier: electrically OK
Status of digital radio antenna 1-Connection between antenna amplifier and antenna: electrically OK
Status of digital radio antenna 1-DAB_Bit_Error_Rate_FIC: 0.000000
Status of digital radio antenna 1-DAB_Bit_Error_Rate_MSC: 0.000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car is a 15 plate, 1.4 TDI BlueMotion, 45k miles.

Thanks for any pointers.
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

Slight update. Clearing the errors and recharging the air-conditioning has helped, so start-stop back running. Also tried DAB radio - so I do get a signal. I'm sure the error is still there - I just want to interpret what it is and how it can be cleared.
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

I have the 2016 polo facelift , have the no signal issue for the dab , it has been like it for long time i dont think it has ever worked properly & ive had the car from brand new liturally 12miles on the clock.
I put it down to that maybe it was a commom issue with all dab tech or the digital signal being broadcasted but realizing that it wernt fixing itself, its frustrating , i even took to vw on numerous occasions to try & resolve the issue but no joy , now ive had enough of it & deciding to remove the stock headunit & use a dab+ booster cable kit & android headunit to resolve the issue (hopefully).
I didnt want to remove the stock MIB2 system but i aint paying over £500 for a whole new stock set up , im sure that the connections are all good in the boot area , never had any of that moved or taken out , never had any of the wiring leading to or from headunit out or damaged .
Im at a loss as to why it dont get signal , i do have obdeleven which i dont know how or what unit to check it in .
I dont get where the airconditioning has any connection with the dab not working ???
Can anyone elaborate the link with them , my aircon is good by the way .
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I didn't think that there was any implied connection between the AC being short of gas and the DAB+ not working, it was just mentioned in the passing.

In your case, maybe just do as I suggested, ie buy a cheap DAB aerial+amplifier and plug that into your "radio" and see if you get DAB+ reception, a very cheap way to start isolating/splitting where the problem lies. Also by removing the "radio" you will be able to check if/that the DAB+ aerial lead is plugged in, next area to check if it turns out to be an aerial issue would be the DAB+ amplifier and check that it is connected to its aerial wiring AND its 12V power feed, and that there 12V at that point - might need the "radio" switched on for that, I've never needed to find out.
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

Yeah i thought that would have been the case , im normally good with stereo wiring set ups but bit old school , these newer tech wiring systems & boosters etc is sort of like relearning stereo installs all over again :o
Interesting though .
Cheerz for that input :D
keiko909
New
Drives: Polo TSI

Post by keiko909 »

i had the same issue with the DAB signal.
I got another VW ariel of the same type from ebay and tested it. DAB worked as normal again.
i see that these antennae can be opened, i wonder if it's worth taking a look inside?