6R Lighting problem - no high beam but 'flash' ok

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ezas123
New
Drives: 6R

6R Lighting problem - no high beam but 'flash' ok

Post by ezas123 »

I am looking for some help with a 2013 6R Polo lighting problem..

The lights (DRL, sidelights, dipped beam) are working ok apart from high beam (ignition 'on', lights in ‘on’ postion, stalk pushed forwards). There is no blue light on the dash and the high beams do not illuminate. The flash of the high beam (pull stalk towards you) works fine and has the blue light on the dash.

I suspected the stalk, so removed it and stripped down both the mechanical and electrical parts of the switch but everything seemed to be working fine – each movement of the stalk was switching combinations of the large blade-type connectors. Reassembled – no difference.

I then read that the rotary switch might be the cause – swapped a known good one from a Skoda Citigo but same fault remained with Polo.

I then disconnected the connectors to each of the front light units – now when I have the switch in the high-beam position I get the blue light on the dash. When I check power at the light connector I am getting combinations of 12V at the pins (6,8,10 from memory) when the various lights are switched on. I have checked continuity from connector to each lamp socket and all is ok.

I have replaced all 4 x H7 lamps and it makes no difference.

I have removed & checked front indicator lamps and I have removed and checked both rear light units & lamps. I have checked fuses as far as I can find the relevant ones. In all other respects, the car is fine electronically.

With all lamps plugged in I have no high beam and no blue dash light, with the front light connectors disconnected I get 12V at the light connector and a blue light on the dash.

I have seen several ‘similar’ problems with VW lighting but not quite the same as I am getting.

Is there a light module or similar?

Any ideas on what to try next?
Last edited by ezas123 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 6R Lighting problem - no high beam but 'flash' ok

Post by iichel »

first of all, i'm assuming the car is standard. no other light switches, no messing with the wiring loom.

could you please measure the wires from and to the stalk 'in vivo'?
so the large, vertical contacts on the descending part of the L.
I'm especially interested in the white and black, thick, wire. it should give 12V when the headlights are on, and nothing with the headlights off.
it goes directly to the light switch, and is connected to pin 4. check this wire for voltage, at both sides, and for continuity please.
ezas123
New

Post by ezas123 »

Hi, yes the car is standard - no mods, no hacked wiring.

Pin 4 - is that at stalk/rotary light switch or 10-pin connector at light unit?

I will check this out when I get home and report back.
iichel

Post by iichel »

at rotary switch please, and at the 41-pin stalk connector
ezas123
New

Post by ezas123 »

Hi, sorry it took 24hrs but I have the info.

At rotary light switch pin 4, the white/black is 12V with ignition on and lights on. OV at lights off/sidelight.

At Column switch (pin41 on connector, 56 on column switch), the white/black is 12V with ignition on and lights on. OV at lights off/sidelight.

Continuity checked and ok between both points.

At the column switch, the high beam/flash (white - 39 at connector, 56a on switch) goes 12V when stalk pulled at all times, but with the H7 bulbs fitted it stays 0V when pushed into high-beam (and no blue light on dash). If you remove the bulbs, this line goes 12V when pushed for main beam (with blue light on dash).

So what is happening at the switch is exactly what I am seeing at the light connector (as detailed in my first post). I have checked all fuses again tonight.

Interested in views...
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

By removing the bulbs you have taken the load out of the circuit allowing current to flow past the high resistance,
The next step is to locate it
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

Have you done any coding recently?
The high beam can be turned off in Byte 18 in the 6R, but will still flash
ezas123
New

Post by ezas123 »

I haven't done any coding but I do have VCDS if there's anything to check.

I substituted a 21W test lamp into the holder and I get the same results - no blue dash light and no power to lamp.

Is there a module that controls the lights or is it a straightforward connection between switches/sockets/lamps?
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

Check 09, long coding, Byte 18, Bit 5: "Output high beam active" - as I remember it
ezas123
New

Post by ezas123 »

I'm wondering if it's worth another clean of the contacts inside the column switch based on the comment about current flow. The fact that the high beam & flash is on the common line (white cable, 39/56a) between column switch and H7 lamp and works when you flash would suggest that power is ok between column switch & lamp, therefore if there is a problem it must be before the connector at the column switch.

I did wonder if it was an earth problem but all other lights function ok.

I can try to check this 'coding' suggestion but it is not something that I am knowledgeable about and I haven't been changing the settings.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Try a known good column switch if you have access to one
iichel

Post by iichel »

I agree that the common output of the stalk is fine, the wire to fuse(s) 34 (or 34 and 36) and from there to the headlight is fine.
So the problem must lie either between the light switch and the stalk or on the stalk.
ezas123
New

Post by ezas123 »

I'm going to go back to the column switch and investigate further.

Away for a couple of days so I'll post an update next week - thanks for the help so far.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

ezas123,

I'm not sure if the lighting stalk on your 6R is meant to operate in exactly the same way as it does on my 6C but am I 'stating the blee...ng obvious' when I ask if you've turned the ignition key fully to the 'ignition on' position? On mine, there's an intermediate position that's possible for the key, where static (latched) high beam can't happen. Where activating latched main beam is concerned, the key position has to be turned all the way to the full 'ignition on' position. That doesn't necessarily mean, of course, that the engine has to be running in order for high beam to be tested out.

I myself rarely use high beam, because I do virtually zero night driving these days. I therefore soon forget the prerequisites for high beam. But yesterday, pre-MOT, I happened to be testing out my external lights and thoroughly puzzled myself when I couldn't for some reason get the high beam to work, let alone latched on. After a while, I realised that it was because I'd not fully turned the key to the 'ignition' position. I felt such an idiot. It was the last key position before firing up the engine that was required. Initially, the main lighting switch on the dash has to be at the dipped-beam position, and then static high beam happens if you push the lefthand stalk forward. Its icon will then light up on the dash's display. As long as that stalk is pushed forward, or even latched into that position, high beam will continue also when 'left turn' or 'right turn' is selected.

I personally find the rear sidelights on these Polos a bit quirky too, in that it's often difficult to tell, when actually looking at them, whether they're on or not. Maybe they run somewhat brighter when the engine's running and you're on the move? But yesterday, in fairly bright daylight from the south, I had to cowl my hand over each rear lens before I could tell whether they were on. Obviously, I'd have been better off testing out my lights in my garage, where daylight, from any direction, wouldn't have interfered with my perception.
ezas123
New

Post by ezas123 »

Hi everybody - problem solved.

As per my last posts, I stripped the column switch again and cleaned the contacts (the ones 'inside' the switch, not the connector contacts) with fine emery & Servisol and the high beam is working ok. I had cleaned the contacts previously, but had been fooled by a meter showing continuity on switching so didn't go too far with the abrasive. In line with Carbon Chaos' post - voltage but no current carrying capacity.

Once I had removed the column switch it was easy to link the 12v feed from the rotary light switch and the high beam line (I think 56 & 56a from memory) and got the high beams and blue light on the dash so knew it had to be inside the column switch. I had avoided doing this earlier to not introduce an airbag fault code but I should have run this test when I first had the column switch out - would have saved a few hours and several stripdowns.

Thanks to everybody for their help on this one.