Power steering twitch/jerk

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Power steering twitch/jerk

Post by 2226 »

I'm not sure if this is normal. This is the first car I've had with electric power steering. I'm used to hydraulic in my old Audi and manual in my mk1 Golf.

Car is a 2017 Cross Polo 1.2TSI 110HP.
When at a standstill, hand resting lightly on the steering wheel, it will move in small jerky increments. It's like the steering motor modulation isn't very smooth.
I suppose this is just to be expected it being all electric and digitally controlled. There's only so much resolution to the instruction.

However, this isn't something I experienced when I bought the car about 3 years ago. So if it's something I need to look into then I need to know before it becomes a big issue.
The car used to be a solid straight line runner on the highway, but it kinda needs constant correction these days but I think this is from tyre change.

Some things to note on history/work so far.
Car came with Continental tyres from factory. These always seemed to "hunker down" and pull really straight. These were changed to Yokohama BluEarth ES32.
Car came with an alignment issue. The subframe had to be realligned, it was over to the one side putting the castor/camber out.
There seems to be a front strut mount on the way out. Driver's side (RHD car) does click at the mount on turning. Perhaps this is enough friction to cause the notchy feel?

Is this something to be concerned about or am I being overly sensitive?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Power steering twitch/jerk

Post by iichel »

No, it is not normal. Perhaps some of the ball joints or bearings are starting to wear.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As above, my first electric power steering car as well, but so far, from new at August 2015 until now at 36,000 miles, no issues - yet!

It still has its factory fitted Contis, we use winter wheels/tyres in cold weather.

Edit:- have you tried either Googling this or searching this forum or any SEAT Ibiza or Skoda Fabia motoring forums, I'm sure that this has been mentioned in the past.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Thank you.

I'll get under there and check balljoints, etc. It's just short of 50,000km.

I did a brief search, but couldn't find anything.