Oil recommendations please

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gertlush
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 SE Bluemotion

Oil recommendations please

Post by Gertlush »

I know this is a subject that is continually discussed on car forum’s as I always join one for every car I’ve recently owned.
I’ve just bought a 2014 1.2 89 hp Bluemotion se tech, and I like to do my own oil and filter changing, and do so frequently, so can I ask the learned members on here what good quality oil they would recommend.
Many thanks
John
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Oil recommendations please

Post by iichel »

The most important thing is to respect the VW specification. I believe it's something like 507.00 or 504.00.
Probably a 5W30/0W30 or /40 will do just fine. I don't think the VW specs will officially allow a /40 oil, but a 5W30 long life oil will do just fine.

Don't forget a new sump plug and a new oil filter.
polo010199
New
Drives: polo 6R 1.6 TDI

Post by polo010199 »

Best oil , i have came across youtube gor vw .
https://youtu.be/KSNGFzZSrm8
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The problem can be "which oil suppliers sell engine oil in your area" - I've tended to use Mobil One 5/W30 ESP mainly because I use it on my other car, so easier to buy 10 litres every year.

Others include whatever Opie Oils suggests for Fuchs and a few others.

Many people, including me, consider that buying Castrol products is just paying good money for an average product, okay VW Group have signed up some agreement with Castrol for supply into the dealership network in some countries - hence Castrol appears on the engine oil filler cap!

Filters, either Mahle or Mann, I think at least for the 2014>2017 cars, VW used Mahle oil filters at the engine plants and only Mann as a genuine spare part for over the counter sales in teh parts department and service part for use in their workshops.

Edit:- added "s" and "oil" as they were both missing!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Timing on this thread is interesting...

I'm gonna go out of my mind in a few minutes with this oil stuff.

I need to change oil on my 2017 1.2tsi. Got back from a trip to find no oil touching the dipstick.

Bought 5W30 Castrol Magnatec, but returned that this morning as it doesn't list required VW specs.
Wanted to get EDGE 5W40 that does list it, but they didn't have. So I check a can of Petronas Syntium 3000E 5W40 and it has VW 502.00 and 505.00 listed.

About to get in the garage to do the change, so I double check the vehicle manual.

Flexible service long life QI6: VW 504.00
Fixed service QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, QI7: VW 502.00

No PR code like that listed on vehicle options sticker.
So I reckon I go fixed service as usual, every 10,000km or 15,000km so that'd be QI1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. I think.
That's VW 502.00 then.

Check the Petronas can. Yip, VW 502.00 and 505.00 compliant.
Excellent.

Next paragraph. Another engine oil can be used in event of emergency, but only 0.5L maximum until next oil change: standards ACEAA3/B4 or API SN (API SM).

Look at the Petronas can: ACEA A3/B4.

Oh FFS. How can you be compliant and non-compliant?!?!?

So, what to do? Am I good to go on this Petronas with VW 502.00 rating?

Right now I'm running on unknown grade mix in the car. Whatever the dealer poured in last time (and poured out through the badly sealed filter), and as of today 2 pints of Castrol Magnatec 10W40 as I hit a low pressure warning on the way back home from the parts store. Those 2 pints got the oil to just touch the dipstick tip.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always serviced my wife's 2015 Polo with the 1.2TSI 110PS engine either at 9000miles or 12 months, in our usage, the 12 months goes first.

I've never ever used 5W-40 always 5W-30 although there is said to be very little difference- I did use 5W-40 on older cars though, ie 2002 VW Polo 1.4 and 2000 VW Passat 4Motion, but engine requirements have changed with newer and improved designs.

I've always only ever used flexible service rated engine oils, ie 504 or similar.

Engine oil is the life blood of the engine and cutting corners on that can lead in extreme situations, to shortened engine life and oil burning.

I've never ever added any oil to my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS or my 2011 Audi S4 between services, though I do check the dip stick on both weekly, using the oil level warning or oil pressure warning as an indicator or prompt to add oil is just asking for trouble, look after your engine and the rest of the car and it should provide you with reliable and safe running.

One other thing, how often do you service or get someone to service your car's brakes?

Edit:- for use in ZA maybe 5W-40 is the right "weight" of oil to use, if so there will be many VW 504 compliant oils on offer to you I'd think.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Nothing at my local parts store showed 504 with the 5W30 or 5W40 grade.

Not saying I rely on oil warning light as a sign on when to add oil. What happened here seems to me to be very odd.

This car has been serviced regularly by the dealership. That is usually 15k km or 1 year. Last was in January and it hasn't added much mileage this year. I tend to do my own servicing once vehicles are out of motor plan. This one is out of plan right now with just 50,000km on it so it will go to a local independent shop at the next service interval.

Fluids are checked regularly and nothing has been observed regarding oil consumption. But to go down that much oil after it's first long trip in over a year doesn't seem right to me.

I've looked over (or under) it this evening and there is weeping from the oil filter gasket. It appears that hasn't been installed correctly and it's probably been doing that for a while.

Poor thing probably peed itself from excitement after finally getting to do a good open road run again. :D

My irritation today was with just figuring how an oil such as the Petronas can both be acceptable and unacceptable according to the vehicle manual. But I'll go ahead with the change tomorrow evening.
Last edited by 2226 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

So, after a fair bit of reading on the net and listening to a few people on different forums I’m going to use Millers Oils EE Performance C3 5w-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil, never used it before, but has the correct VW 504 00 specification
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Yes, Millers have always made good-quality oils. But for me, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Can't go wrong with it, and in the UK it's usually readily available from branches of Halfords. On occasions, I've bought it online from Opie OIls. It actually exceeds the specs quoted by VW.

Mobil 5W-30 ESP is quite expensive but is easily worth the assuredness it gives you.

Most of our Polos require 4 litres or less of oil for a refill (eg. mine requires just 3.8 litres, and that's with a fresh oil filter too), so I find it a bit annoying that the Mobil ESP comes in 5-litre containers (though you can buy 1 litre amounts if you wish). What I tend to do therefore is keep the 1.2 litres left over each time and then supplement it the following year with an odd 1 litre or two of it here and there. I usually have two, sometimes three, 5-litre containers on the go, an empty one from a previous year in which to put the dirty oil, one with leftover fresh oil, and the other the newly-bought 5 litres of fresh oil.
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

veteran wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:21 pm Yes, Millers have always made good-quality oils. But for me, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Can't go wrong with it, and in the UK it's usually readily available from branches of Halfords. On occasions, I've bought it online from Opie OIls. It actually exceeds the specs quoted by VW.

Mobil 5W-30 ESP is quite expensive but is easily worth the assuredness it gives you.

Most of our Polos require 4 litres or less of oil for a refill (eg. mine requires just 3.8 litres, and that's with a fresh oil filter too), so I find it a bit annoying that the Mobil ESP comes in 5-litre containers (though you can buy 1 litre amounts if you wish). What I tend to do therefore is keep the 1.2 litres left over each time and then supplement it the following year with an odd 1 litre or two of it here and there. I usually have two, sometimes three, 5-litre containers on the go, an empty one from a previous year in which to put the dirty oil, one with leftover fresh oil, and the other the newly-bought 5 litres of fresh oil.
I did some searching for comments and views on the Mobil 1 and must admit in the end it was a straight toss up between the Millers and Mobil 1.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Is it worthwhile picking an API SN PLUS rated oil over a API SN rated oil for these 1.2tsi 16V engines?

SN PLUS adds something against LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition) which is apparently prevalent in small capacity turbo direct-injection engines. Why do have a feeling that pre-ignition stuff is due to all the oil getting sucked into these things intakes. :roll:
johntheo2
New
Drives: Polo AW1

Post by johntheo2 »

2226 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:32 am Nothing at my local parts store showed 504 with the 5W30 or 5W40 grade.

Not saying I rely on oil warning light as a sign on when to add oil. What happened here seems to me to be very odd.

This car has been serviced regularly by the dealership. That is usually 15k km or 1 year. Last was in January and it hasn't added much mileage this year. I tend to do my own servicing once vehicles are out of motor plan. This one is out of plan right now with just 50,000km on it so it will go to a local independent shop at the next service interval.

Fluids are checked regularly and nothing has been observed regarding oil consumption. But to go down that much oil after it's first long trip in over a year doesn't seem right to me.

I've looked over (or under) it this evening and there is weeping from the oil filter gasket. It appears that hasn't been installed correctly and it's probably been doing that for a while.

Poor thing probably peed itself from excitement after finally getting to do a good open road run again. :D

My irritation today was with just figuring how an oil such as the Petronas can both be acceptable and unacceptable according to the vehicle manual. But I'll go ahead with the change tomorrow evening.
A word of caution re these spin on oil filters, before installing the the new filter ensure that the barrel nipple is screwed fully home, I found the one on the wife's 2019 Polo almost fully unscrewed, after removing the old filter, it obviously unscrewed with the filter on removal,the gasket will certainly leak or even worse if this nipple isn't fully home before screwing on the new filter. A 19 year old Bora developed this same "habit" after about 12 years.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Good to know. Will double check when I do filter and oil next time.
It turned out the oil leak is from the oil separator. Seems that RTV silicone they use doesn't last. Interesting to note that the 1.5TSI EA211 now uses a gasket instead.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Is there anything to suggest that that area has been machine to accept a gasket instead of the previous RTV types of sealant?
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

04E103464AD
04E103464BH

Looking them up and they're for the 1.5. Comes with bolts and seals installed.
I'm probably looking at the wrong thing as usual.