New owner with some questions

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
keeno85
New
Drives: polo match

New owner with some questions

Post by keeno85 »

Hi all

Recently got rid of the family car and bought myself a 2015 VW Polo R Line 1.0 TSI. I was a bit nervous as I’ve always been a Ford fan so it was between a polo R Line and Fiesta ST-Line. I opted for the Polo as it was different and felt better in terms of looks, interior and accessories. I’m loving it so far.

Loving the forum also, already got loads of info from pasts posts but have a few question I’m hoping you can all help with.

1 - looking to replace front and rear discs and pads with OEM spec brembos (from ECP or GSF) or OEM spec EBC discs and green stuff pads. Anyone used these before and have any feedback?

2 - brake pads give me an option for with or without brake wear indicator. Anyone know if the R-Line has this? I’ve had a quick look but difficult to tell without taking wheel off.

3 - when replacing the brakes I’ll be giving the callipers a repaint. In the past I’ve used hammerite, has anyone used anything specific ?

4 - I’d like to replace the fog like with xenon effect bulbs, anyone know what sort of bulb the dogs take?

5 - getting apple car play. I’ve seen a post on here about which systems will take carplay and that VW can set this up for a cost. Unfortunately my head unit is an older one which cannot have CarPlay installed (has mute button not voice). Is it as simple as buying a second hand head unit (screen) off eBay that has the voice button on and swapping it over? Do I need the accompanying bit that sits in the glove box or just the head unit?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: New owner with some questions

Post by iichel »

I'll be brief, don't take it personally :)

- I always take TRW discs and ATE pads since they are the OEM supplier. I have no bad experience with any other brand though.
- You don't need a wear indicator
- Just make sure to do appropriate preparation and perhaps a 2K and/or heat-resistant paint and clear coat.
- H8 fog light bulbs
- No on your Polo 6C, the infotainment has a bond to the car called 'component protection'. If you buy a unit on eBay, make sure it's either pre-activated or find someone with an online ODIS system/acces to remove component protection. Make sure it's a legal unit, since ODIS is known to lock/disable any system that is registered as stolen.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

For swopping over the infotainment system, have a chat with a local VW Group Indie about if they are kitted out to be able to sort out the component protection, I emailed my nearest about this and they do not respond, another one slightly further away just asked me to book the car in and they only took about 20 minutes to complete things and print out the bill which was for maybe 30 minutes labour. I did buy a used system for my 2011 S4 to get DAB and it worked out okay as I'd doubt if I'd bother chasing the seller if it turned out to be logged as stolen.

As said try to be selective about who/where you buy it from as if it has been logged with VW Group as stolen, then they will reject the request to sort it out to be fitted into your car, in theory the local police are meant to be passed info on this stolen goods being handled, but I'd doubt if they would be interested in that - but only one way to find out about that.

In UK ECP tend to sell Pagid and other TMD discs and pads, I don't have a GSF branch near enough me to use them much, okay they offer free P&P over a certain spend, but if things turn bad I'd rather face to face the local branch to sort things out. I can't work out why VW have not included a single pad wear indicator in these cars, I've never ever had any issues with that on any of my previous VW cars

I've missed my chance to paint the callipers on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS this year, maybe next summer - I was aiming to use paint sold for that job, possibly a mid grey colour to make them look okay again, silver is okay when they were new as that is the original colour, but repainting with the usual silver paint just makes them "shout out" for me, each to their own though!
keeno85
New

Post by keeno85 »

iichel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm I'll be brief, don't take it personally :)

- I always take TRW discs and ATE pads since they are the OEM supplier. I have no bad experience with any other brand though.
- You don't need a wear indicator
- Just make sure to do appropriate preparation and perhaps a 2K and/or heat-resistant paint and clear coat.
- H8 fog light bulbs
- No on your Polo 6C, the infotainment has a bond to the car called 'component protection'. If you buy a unit on eBay, make sure it's either pre-activated or find someone with an online ODIS system/acces to remove component protection. Make sure it's a legal unit, since ODIS is known to lock/disable any system that is registered as stolen.
Thanks for the info, I decided to go with EBC OEM discs and greenstuff pads in the end. The pads arrived today and have a wear indicator but I’m assuming I can snip this off off if there is none. I will be changing them in the next few days. Rears need doing also so will look at ECP/GSF to see if the do the TRW/Pagid.

Regarding the infotainment system, is it the control/head unit in the glove box I need to change, the actual screen or both?

I will have a hunt around to see if anyone can do the component protection. If anyone knows any in Norfolk/Suffolk that does it let me know.

Callipers I’m looking a doing black and adding an r-line logo. Will look at the heat resistant paint :)
keeno85
New

Post by keeno85 »

Had a chance to change the discs and pads and give the callipers a quick quote. Very happy with how they have turned out.

Went with EBC OEM discs with greenstuff pads in the end. I’ve had the pads before and liked the performance. I used hammerite in the end for the calliper as the calliper paint was out of stock. I don’t intend on doing any track days/ heavy braking so this should be fine :).

I have a few scratches on the front lights so next up will be sanding them out and polish them. Anyone done this before and can recommend a product/ kit?
Attachments
9F2CB2C3-5FC9-4881-AD27-415A4CD2C375.jpeg
9F2CB2C3-5FC9-4881-AD27-415A4CD2C375.jpeg (908.93 KiB) Viewed 439 times