Fitting front mud flaps

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Clive61
New
Drives: None

Fitting front mud flaps

Post by Clive61 »

Just fitted mud flaps to my Polo, having finally managed to find some genuine ones on eBay at a reasonable price. Apart from being a bit fiddly to fit, I'm really pleased with them. Just one thing left me puzzled: on the front flaps there are two "prongs" which sit either side of the sill seams with a silly little clamp thing that's supposed to hold them on. What's the point??!! There's no way those clamps can be attached that would actually grip and serve any useful purpose. I've left them off; the best scenario I can see is that they'd simply fall off and get lost, the worst case is they'd fall in the path of the rear tyres and cause severe tyre damage. Seems like pointless over-engineering to help justify their exorbitant list price. Anyone else had the same issue?
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: Fitting front mud flaps

Post by wolfie »

Over 10 years back since I fitted mine. I vaguely remember the tags that you are talking about. If I remember correctly they just clamp the tag to the pinch weld. Mine are still in place albeit a bit rusty. My guess would be they possibly stop the mud flaps vibrating in the airstream at speed. I wouldn't worry about them falling off, mine have sat there over 10 years and are still where I put em.