GTI 6C Brake Upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
loopy257
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C 1.8T

GTI 6C Brake Upgrade

Post by loopy257 »

Hi all,

New to the forum. I have a 2015 GTI 1.8T and I’m currently in the process of taking it to stage 3 (300ish bhp with is20)
My question is… what’s a cost effective but good brake upgrade option for me?
I’m hoping to find something on good old eBay, ideally something that’s relatively easy to fit without messing about with spacers etc. too much.
Has anyone tried putting Golf R brakes On a polo?
I’ve got the stock 17 inch wheels currently.

Hopefully someone can help!
Thanks in advance.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: GTI 6C Brake Upgrade

Post by iichel »

I suppose the most logical upgrade would be the Polo WRC rear brakes, 256x22 vented disc conversion. Or 270mm solid discs from a Golf 4 4-motion.

For the front axle, you're pretty maxxed out, as far as the 6R/PQ25 platform goes. You could have a look at the 4-pot 340mm front discs from a TTRS 8N.
Or perhaps an aftermarket big brake kit. Or some kind of Porsche

There is not really a cheap upgrade that I can think of. I am driving 310mm fronts like your car and 256mm vented discs in the rear. And I don't feed the need for more braking power.
loopy257
New

Post by loopy257 »

Thanks for the reply!
I’m confident in my brakes as they are right now, but I am at stock power currently. I’m probably being a bit over cautious, would I see much of an improvement if I replaced the front discs with some good quality drilled/grooved discs and better brake pads?
It’s not that I’m looking for a cheap alternative to a big brake kit, I just don’t know if it’s worth it to go all out?

I am new to the modification scene, so excuse me if I’m being naive but are brake calipers and discs somewhat universal? I’ve seen plenty of Porsche calipers on eBay at very reasonable prices that’s all.

Thanks
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I'm running about 200hp and 420nm of torque on my TDI. Never did I have the feeling that my brakes were not sufficient, and often the braking performance is tyre (and/or ESP/ABS/ASR) limited. The remedy for that is not to fit bigger brakes, but better tyres and anticipate, in high speed, high energy maneuvers.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

the easiest upgrade for the 6c is to get a full of brakes off a seat leon Mk1 cupra R .

you will need to run spacers on the front to clear the calipers but they are pretty much bolt on (new flexi hoses on the front only thing required)

the rears are 256mm vented aswell and use the correct 2wd carrier rather than the wrong 4wd one.

also you'll enjoy having a stage 3 GTI :D :D :D
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

I've also bought a 288 mm setup, painted and ready to mount it to the car. I choose 288 because i bought 4 new 15" winter tires last season.

Im also concidering rear upgrade, would love to do 256 rear vented but sourcing the carriers in my country is an issue. ( Even from a 4motion car ( V5 2.3) - parts seem to be sold out, it's easy to machine a 6mm spacer)

Maybe bigger rear setup from octavia or golf mk5 ( carriers, and calipers?)

I dont like the first 1/2 of brake pedal feel, its soft and nothing is pretty much happening. Did you guys experience this on 256 front setup?

The front dives to much, i feel the rear is lacking way to much. Im planning to re-build the rear callipers ( even bigger rear setup is 38 mm) Is it worth upgrading? )
My other car had 288, and ~260 rear ~ 1450 kg and the brake pedal was perfect.

I've been reading people been expirencing soft brake pedal when they upgraded to 288 front ( ABS 8.2) - and i want a firmer brake pedal feel. Any tips?
loopy257
New

Post by loopy257 »

Dink wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:39 pm the easiest upgrade for the 6c is to get a full of brakes off a seat leon Mk1 cupra R .

you will need to run spacers on the front to clear the calipers but they are pretty much bolt on (new flexi hoses on the front only thing required)

the rears are 256mm vented aswell and use the correct 2wd carrier rather than the wrong 4wd one.

also you'll enjoy having a stage 3 GTI :D :D :D
Thanks for the help mate!

I was told by someone to go for the Leon Cupra R brakes, it seems to be the most viable option other than keeping my current brakes and being “extra” careful.
I’ll take a look on fleebay tonight!

And yes I’m extremely excited, got my IS20 sat in the garage begging to be put in the polo! Just need a few more bits then I’ll pull the trigger.
Lee_Liu_Te
New
Drives: 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Post by Lee_Liu_Te »

Hej. In my opinion, it all depends on how you use the brakes. If you are not going to the track, and the brakes are used normally, then a set with a 6r WRC 312/256 on good discs and pads is enough for up to 300KM. After all, such a set was braking the much heavier sports Leon Cupra R (225KM) 8) . I am at the stage of switching from 256 / drums to 312/256 on EBC Turbo Grooved GD930 discs + Ferodo DS2500 FCP1641H pads, EBC Turbo Grooved GD931 + Ferodo DS Performance FDS1083. I also recommend the DBA 4000 XS DBA 4838XS and DBA 4000 T3 DBA 4838S blades. However, if you use the brakes sharply and intensively, it is worth swapping on something bigger. In Poland, we have a guy who comprehensively handles brake swaps very well. In the previous car I had a kit from him and everything fit and worked as it should. You can go this way: https://allegro.pl/oferta/swap-brembo-6 ... 1284934713 https://allegro.pl/oferta/swap-big-brak ... 1284934718 :D
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

And here we again reach the topic of brake master cylinder.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

amer6R wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:01 pm And here we again reach the topic of brake master cylinder.
My brake pedal is just as firm with the seat leon 323mm brembos and 256mm rears.

but there is lots of differences i believe between models and if LHD or RHD.
Lee_Liu_Te
New

Post by Lee_Liu_Te »

I know some people replace the pump with Bosch 9.0i but it involves a bit of work. How much this change gives, I have to say to people who made such a change. For sure, by the old pump it will be useful to replace the wires with braided ones.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

yes also 9.0i should benefit stiffer brake pedal.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Jumping in here

I've got a bone stock GTi. Current factory fitted discs and pads are coming up for replacement and I'm looking for a disc and pad combo that would give me a better initial bite over stock.

After looking at other threads it seems that most have gone for EBC yellowstuff. I'm looking to pair them with their USR Fine slotted discs but have also been looking at some stoptech discs but they are quite a bit more expensive and seem harder to come by.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?
Lee_Liu_Te
New

Post by Lee_Liu_Te »

Very Good brake discs: 1. DBA 4000 XS DBA 4838XS 2.DBA 4000 T3 DBA 4838S 3.Ebc Turbo Groove 4.Stoptech sport
Very Good brake pads: 1.Ferodo DS Performance 2.Ferodo DS 2500 3.DBA SP Street Performance 4.Galfer Sport FDHP 1050 5.Carbone Lorraine RC5+ 4122RC5 6.Stoptech Sport Performance
My favorite: 1+3(5) :D
loopy257
New

Post by loopy257 »

So I’ve decided to order some MK1 Cupra R Brembo front Calipers today… other than discs, pads and hose, what else will I need to get? Do the brembos fit on the same calipers mount as the stock polo?