Polo 6R Parking sensors and Reversing lights not working

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sparrow14
New
Drives: 6R 2012

Polo 6R Parking sensors and Reversing lights not working

Post by Sparrow14 »

Hello, I recently bought my Polo 6R, and at the time I remember hearing the parking sensors cause a tone when engaged reverse.
During the last few days I have realized that this is not happening anymore. Backing up to something does not cause them to make a tone, and also there is no reversing light coming on.
Checking the fuses I find that Fuse 27 for reversing lights is still good. The layout diagrams I have referred to show Fuse 16 as being for Parking Aid control unit, but that fuse is not fitted, and photos of other Polo's fuseboards show it not fitted there also, so I am wondering if there are models of Polo where it is powered through a different fuse? Mine is from 2012.
These symptoms make me believe that some fundamental lack of signal, such as the engagement of reverse gear not closing a switch may be the problem, but I don't know where to look to check if that is the cause. Has anyone any suggestions?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo 6R Parking sensors and Reversing lights not working

Post by iichel »

Perhaps the reverse sensor on the gearbox has gone. Is it a manual?
You could disconnect the plug and measure input voltage and bridge the connector (with ignition on) to see what happens.

Other options are of course not ruled out. But it would be nice to know a bit more about your car before we continue our search effort.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

pop it in reverse and read what gear is displayed on the instrument cluster
Sparrow14
New
Drives: 6R 2012

Post by Sparrow14 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My Polo is a 1.4 Manual from 2012.

I have just been out to the car now and tried moving the gear stick between gears (with clutch down) and get no numeric indication of the gear on the dashboard display although I do remember seeing this in the past while driving.

Are there different modes for this part of the display, just to the right of the time display?

It was a good suggestion, just not sure why there isn't any display for me to report back to you.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

R is never displayed on a manual, so that's not relevant.