TPMS Fault Error - Flashing Symbol on Dash

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Spanner Monkey
New
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.4 TDI SE

TPMS Fault Error - Flashing Symbol on Dash

Post by Spanner Monkey »

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum so if this post is in the wrong section please let me know. To cut a long story short, I recently had two new front tyres fitted to my Polo. All seemed well until a few days after fitting when the TPMS light began flashing, the manual tells me that this is due to a fault with the system. I've been trawling this forum and others to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues and I can't quite get a straight answer on a proven fix. I've tried recalibrating the system using the infotainment menu which causes the error to disappear for a few hours before returning. I've also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery in an attempt to hard reset the system but this didn't make a difference. I've read that a diagnostic tool may help as I can use it to clear the error code, however I'm a mechanical newbie and wanted to ask if anyone here has had success using this method before dropping money on a diagnostic tool and having a go myself.

My car is a 2015 reg Polo 1.4 TDI SE.

Many Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: TPMS Fault Error - Flashing Symbol on Dash

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that you are in the right area of this forum for your car, so that is okay.

Having this happening shortly after getting a pair of tyres replaced does or could indicate that that caused a problem - or just coincidence.

As I'm sure you know, that system just uses data from the ABS controller, so any issue with a wheel sensor should also be upsetting the ABS and bringing another or additional warning light on.

So, what is wrong, sorry I've not ended up with this issue, all I've ever worked out is that the car must be stationary before attempting to reset the pressures - or the TPMS, then confirming the setting.

Carista is one cheapish car scan tool that can communicate with all this car's smart controllers and so be able to show you which faults have been logged though not live data on the ABS controller, I've used Carista quite a few times on our cars, though I also have VCDS for use at home, but that is probably too expensive for someone not planning to get deeply involved with sorting out car issues.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

Thanks for getting back to me, the TPMS light is the only warning light displayed on the dash. I did go back to the garage and query the fault with the fitters but they said much the same as you in that the system works via the ABS sensors so the tyre swap is unlikely to be the root cause. I suppose this is just an unfortunate coincidence. I've ordered a scan tool that is capable of reading and clearing errors related to TPMS and ABS so I'll have a go at clearing the codes and see how I get on.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

So after plugging in an Ancel VD500 diagnostic tool I bought from Amazon, I was able to identify the fault code.

‘C1146F0’

Unfortunately, the tool wasn’t able to clear the code. I’ve tried multiple times but the warning light is still present after the tool reads “error code cleared”.

What’s my next move here? Replace the front ABS sensors? I’m not taking my car into the local VW as they are Arnold Clark-run and have tried to rip me off previously.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

What does your fault code reader claim that code is in normal language?

I can't blame you on the Uncle Arnie issue though.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

The display pops up with “Tire pressure monitoring display not available” followed by the code above. Yeah, I’ve had one too many bad experiences with them to consider going back.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

There has been a TSB (technical service bulletin) for some cars for this error. IIRC its at least the VW up, perhaps also VW Polo 6C. It's a software thing.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

Thanks iichel, I couldn’t find the specific TSB online so I contacted VW to ask them about it directly. I’m paraphrasing but I was told something along the lines of “No info on this, take the car to a VW dealer”. Very helpful. I’m going to physically inspect the ABS sensors to see if there’s any kind of visible fault. Will report back with my findings, likely at the weekend.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Sorry to state the obvious but the new tyres are the correct size in every aspect and tyre pressures are correct as per the size on the fuel flap .

You probably have checked these things but sometimes basic things get overlooked

There appears to be a software update for a similar known fault across the group
heftyshooly
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.4 TDI BMT

Post by heftyshooly »

I have exactly the same problem and same fault code! The error message will pop up from time to time, for weeks. Resetting the tire pressures only hides the error for a while. But eventually, after resetting the tire pressures a few times the TPMS will work as expected for a few more weeks, sometimes months.

It's really annoying and unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet...
I noticed that the error seems to be triggered by increasing the tire pressures. In my case, whenever I am expecting to drive with the car fully loaded, I'll increase the rear tire pressures from 2.1 to 2.4 bar. After following the correct procedure for resetting the TPMS, it's almost certain that tis error will appear.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

Hi guys, I have double checked the two new tyres and they are the same as what were previously on the car in terms of size (185/60/15). They are also at factory spec pressure (38PSI front/35PSI back). Funny you mention that, I’ve had a very similar experience. Increasing tyre pressure always sets off the error. I can also calibrate the TPMS system via the infotainment menu and this hides the fault for two or three days. I may try the multiple resets as you have suggested but I’m also going to look at the sensors tomorrow night. I doubt they will be the root cause since there is no ABS light on the dash but giving the connections a clean can’t hurt.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

So my dad has just been to a local independent garage to have his car ran through an MOT. He asked the mechanic there what he thought of this fault and supposedly it’s fairly common on VWs. He suggested over-inflating the tyres by 2-3 PSI and running the car to see if the fault goes away on it’s own.
Spanner Monkey
New

Post by Spanner Monkey »

Hi everyone, just an update following an inspection of the front ABS sensors. I took the front two out (after much difficulty as they were seized). Gave them a thorough clean, including the contacts but this has made no difference. Considering doing the same to the rear ones and then if that doesn’t improve the situation perhaps new sensors could resolve the issue? I’m stumped, I know several of you guys mentioned that this is a known software issue. If there’s a fix for this then I won’t bother continuing to fiddle with sensors. Any suggestions?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, first I'll admit that this is a very negative thought, but from my experiences of VW Group and S/W fixes, if you don't submit a car to a main dealership fault diagnosis which "that" S/W update was current/new, then the techs will have lost sight of this ever being an issue, and/or more likely can't now find the correct S/W update code as VW Group seem to only keep that info visible for a shortish period in time I'd think due to them assuming that all affected cars have been sorted out - so no reason to keep that fix within the grasp of the dealership techs.

For me that was the case for a 2002 VW Polo with a BBY 1.4 engine, it kept, in deepest winter, logging "bank 2" faults and other not credible engine faults, it did not start doing that until it was 5 years old, by that time the fix had "gone" and VW dealership just was not interested in requesting help from VW mothership. Same thing for a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4, in that case it was a BCM issue that started, at 6 or so years old, causing the battery to discharge if the car was left unused for 5 days, the first SEAT dealership ignored my suggestion of it being only a BCM issue and replaced the steering angle thing under the steering wheel - same problem within a month. A year later I talked to another SEAT main dealer, an AC dealership, and the service reception guy knew exactly what I was talking about as they had that week sorted out a same age VW Polo - so after maybe 2 years that car got the correct fix, which was a BCM S/W update that by that time had "gone" or vanished from the sight of the SEAT techs.

So, get in there now and request that the VW dealership logs a "tech help" request from VW mothership, if there is a fix, that request should provide the fix's code for the dealership to find and load into your car. They will require to spend an hour running diagnostics first, then, in my case, a further 3/4 hour tech time to download the fix and check again.
heftyshooly
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.4 TDI BMT

Post by heftyshooly »

For the same of more information, you can also check this thread on a Russian forum: https://www.drive2.com/l/530713373080289336/
Also, the TSB for this issue is 2039142, according to someone in the Ross-Tech forum.