Ben's Civic EP3 CTR - 255bhp NA

A section of the forum for members to show off their non-polo vehicles.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Ben's Polo GTI Progress Thread - UPDATE! pics to follow

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Few Pics of my Number Plate Bracket

On Car Pic

Backing Plate with Brackets

Brackets Mounted to the Lower Grille

REAR BUMPER DAMAGE!!! :evil: to be fixed on Tuesday
Prabz
Bronze Member

Post by Prabz »

Hi mate where did you get your B&M shortshifter as i am looking for one my self....
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Prabz wrote:Hi mate where did you get your B&M shortshifter as i am looking for one my self....
Got mine from Venom Motorsport mate, but Demon Tweeks also supply them.

B&m Shifter with product code 45106 is the correct one for the Polo GTI

1996-99 Audi A3
1998-99.5 VW Beetle
1998-99.5 VW Cabrio
1993-99.5 VW Golf/GTI/Jetta VR6
1993-97 VW Passat VR6

It wont list the Polo GTI on any application list but the 45106 is deffo the one you need!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

loving the progress Ben, I've currently got a similar but slightly smaller scrape on my rear bumper, car goes into the bodyshop day after Edition which kinda sucks!

How much was the Spax kit?
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Tim_GTi wrote:loving the progress Ben, I've currently got a similar but slightly smaller scrape on my rear bumper, car goes into the bodyshop day after Edition which kinda sucks!

How much was the Spax kit?
Cheers Tim,

Yeah mate completely sucks when your cars get a scrape or a ding, start getting paranoid then when parking.

My car went in yesterday for the repair, I will be getting it back this afternoon so thats a relief.

Spax Kit was £500 in total and that included VAT :D, pretty good price really but there was a reason for that. Venom Motorsport now produce their own Fully adjustable coilovers and they have them produced by Spax. Basically they are the Spax RSX coilovers and all they do is have them powder coated blue and stick a few venom logo's on them.

When I ordered my set from Venom they didnt have their own brand in stock so they sent me the genuine spax set.
They are exactly the same of course but its nice to label them a Spax I guess 8)

Its off to my mates tonight when it comes out of the bodyshop and hopefully by Friday afternoon the Coilovers, Brakes & Strutbrace will all be fitted. :)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

bargain!

Keep in mind dude, you need a caliper rewind tool for the rear brakes, a 7mm allen key for the front suspension, and you'll probably need to remove the backbox in some manner to gain access to the bolt on the rear nearside strut also. Also if you havent got the bracket to relocate the coolant tank when you fit the sturt brace don't even attempt it!

These are just a few niggly bits and odd tools that have set me back when doing these jobs!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Tim_GTi wrote:bargain!

Keep in mind dude, you need a caliper rewind tool for the rear brakes, a 7mm allen key for the front suspension, and you'll probably need to remove the backbox in some manner to gain access to the bolt on the rear nearside strut also. Also if you havent got the bracket to relocate the coolant tank when you fit the sturt brace don't even attempt it!

These are just a few niggly bits and odd tools that have set me back when doing these jobs!
Yeah I was pretty happy to say the least

Really appreciate the advice Tim and really glad you mentioned the caliper rewind tool because I havent got one :(
With the coolant tank bracket, do you know where I can purchase one?

My mate said to me it wont fit with the standard bracket even if you fit it back to front. Just wanted to know where you purchased yours from?

I will post some pics tomorrow with the suspension fitted. Fingers crossed anyway :D

Ben
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

No worries mate, I know how it goes. nothing worse than being in the flow of things then getting stopped short because you haven't the correct tools.

No one sells them on there own mate! I tried contacting quite a few different companies, but no luck. I had my mate fabricate me one out of metal in the end. I'll get a pic up for you when I can.
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

should come with the kit mate mine did! If not u will have to fabricate one from something u have lying around or summin!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice one Tim, look forward to seeing the picture.

Might have to get my dad to knock something up, he's normally pretty good at engineering parts.

Mine didnt come with one Trotta. But that might be because I didnt buy the kit or set, I only bought the upper strutbrace and didnt bother with the lower one. Most people seem to remove there's anyway so I thought I would just stick with the upper brace.

Front Coilovers are now fitted along with the Front brakes. The rear coilovers will be fitted later on this morning but the rear brakes will have to wait because my mate dont have the tools for the Job. The B&M short shifter might also be fitted this afternoon along with my freshly delivered Audi TT pedals :D

Pics will follow later on today
Last edited by 6N2 GTI 00 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Ah writ, i love my bottom brace its the coolest lol!

U doing your coilover fitting urself like with a mate?
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

My Mate has fitted the coilovers for me and has done a fantastic job. 8) he's a top bloke.

I will try and post some pics up in the next couple of days. It needs to be raised by about 10-15mm at the back because its sitting on its backside at the moment, looks good for it though.

The handling in corners is simply awesome!
Really does grip to the road perfectly. Fantastic comfort as well, especially on the main roads, really is smooth and quiet.
Even on the bumpy lanes it feels great, obviously not quite so comfy as the standard set-up but its very very close.

Couldnt recommend the SPAX RSX Coilovers enough, its certianly worth spending the extra £150-200.

Ben
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Dude, get a black rear view mirror or spray it lol!

Iv just seen it in ur pic,

How much where they? 500?

Iv got the A.P ones!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Yeah mate its on the list lol

Can't believe it wasnt black as standard, think ill get it painted to be honest

Yeah mate the Spax coilovers were 500 green queens. Fully adjustable Height and Damping settings though so pretty pleased with that price. I was going to get the AP coilovers for a long time but because of the extremely poor road surfaces by my house I thought I would go for a set with adjustable damping.

How are the AP's going for you? you happy with them?

Ben
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Few More Updates - 8) 06/09/2009

The Coilovers & Brakes are now fitted and my mate has been playing around with the ride height a couple of times.
We had to raise the car by 30mm (front & rear) this last week because of problems with my driveway at home, it needs leveling so until that has been done the car will have to stay at this height.

Once the Driveway has been done it will be dropped by 25mm at the back and 30mm at the front to balance the stance of the car. I also had my windows tinted last week by North Wales Tinting and I think they look great.
I know they are not everybodys cup of tea but I havent gone too dark and it doesnt have the "VAN" effect so im pretty pleased.

Apologies about the pictures, I did clean the car but seconds later it started peeing it down (typical wales!) 8)

I fitted my new Audi TT pedals this weekend and I also fitted a "GTI" badge to my engine cover
These are tricky to fit because the fitting is so tight but they look so much better than the original pedals.
As you can see in the picture, the next job is to respray the rocker cover as it has become very tatty. I thought I would try something new with the cover :D not seen anybody with a GTI badge on there before

The Brakes have been fitted and I really do like them. The green stuff pads are pretty dusty so the BBS RXII's are being cleaned alot more now but I dont mind that, they look really good behind the rims so im satisfied.
As for the performance there is a noticeable difference over the standard brakes :D
With FLASH! :shock:

I recently bought a new Grille too and some red piping but I havent got round to fitting them yet. The standard grille is looking a little worse for wear after 9 years of motoring so once the new grille is fitted ill post some new pics.
I also added a sticker to the rear window :D just giving it a try because im not normally a fan of stickers on cars

I need to order a few parts from Volkswagen Pensarn this week, including
- New Interior Door Handles
- Aerial Mount
- New VW interior Mats (The original one's are horrible as you can see in the pedals pic)
- Drivers Side Indicator Cluster
- Bonnet Support Rubbers x 2 (mine are missing for some reason)

The next big job on the car is trying to fit the Manifold and then getting it booked in for the powerflow exhaust system.
The majority of the work has been done to the manifold it just need the holes that mount to the block re-boring by a few mm and then its ready to be fitted. That just leaves the Short Shifter to then finally be fitted

Will keep you all posted with the changes as and when they happen

*The Rear Bumper damage has also been repaired :D at a cost of £110*

Ben,
Last edited by 6N2 GTI 00 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.