Ben's Civic EP3 CTR - 255bhp NA

A section of the forum for members to show off their non-polo vehicles.
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Re: Ben's Polo GTI Progress Thread - Coilovers & Brakes Fitted

Post by emma_88 »

Good progress Benjamin.

I think you need some better pics of the tints though. I'm undecided if I like them, cos TBH that's not the best of pics to show them off with :P lol. TT pedals are class, I sooo want some, and that badge on the engine cover, I think I like. Adds a nice touch.

Keep the updates coming.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Cheers Emma,

Yeah the pictures are pretty dreadful in fairness, but then again so is the weather in wales :lol:
I would recommend Tints but only if their kept to a light tone. I think on a Silver GTI you can afford to go a little darker because its a nice contrast black & silver.

Its a shame the TT pedals didnt come standard on the GTI but its worth buying a set.

I will try to get some better pics soon :D

Ben
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Liking the progress mate, you'll love the short shifter when you get it fitted!
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Tim_GTi wrote:Liking the progress mate, you'll love the short shifter when you get it fitted!
Thanks Tim, looking forward to getting it fitted :D
Did you have to buy any additional parts to fit yours or is it a straight fit? could you also PM a picture of your Water Coolant Bracket? I want to get my Strut brace sorted as well soon.

Cheerst Tim
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

No straight fit mate! The pivot rod takes a bit of persuasion to get out, you have to unscrew the two obvious bolts towards the handbrake side of it to get enough movement, but it will budge.

None of that may make any sense to you right now, but you'll know exactly what I mean when you crack on with it. It's reallly quite an easy task, I had know idea what I was doing or how the thing even worked when I did mine, I just followed the instructions and it all became clear!

Shoot yeh I was suppose to get a snap of it on Monday, car's in the bodyshop now, when it's back I'm cleaning up with engine bay so I'll get it to you asap.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Cheers Tim, much appreciated

I keep putting the short shifter off but im going to have a crack at it this weekend so im sure your advice will come in handy :D

No problem about the picture mate, whenever you get the chance because the strut brace will be one of the last things to be fitted anyway.

Cheers

Ben
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

It really is straight forward man, just follow the guide 8)

In terms of removing trim, your looking at the lower panels of the driver's side, and working your way across to the centre console.

Check out Mouse's guide on what to remove and what not to remove

http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... er#p243984

I've sent you PM.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Cheers Tim got your PM

Yeah Mouse's guide is top notch, makes things so much easier than the instructions that come with it.

Its all good fun even if things go wrong.

Thanks again

Ben
6N2 GTI 00

Ben's Polo GTI Progress Thread - Small Update Feb 2010

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Its been a while since I posted any updates on my car so I thought I would post a few new pics of the progress of the car.
I have recently taken the 16" BBS RXII's off the car because of the salty roads and purchased a new set of G60 steelies with Yokohoma 195/45/R15 tyres. I think they look alright for the winter wheels and these will stay on the car now until May or June.
I also purchased some centre caps for them (I painted the VW Badge black) but to be honest I think I prefer the G60's without them so I might leave them off the car for now. They look a bit boring with the centre caps fitted.

I fitted my new 6000K HID Xenon and LED sidelights over the weekend and they were a bit of a nightmare to fit. I followed Tikki's DIY guide which was helpful but it wasnt the easiest of jobs and took me a few hours. I managed to destroy my drivers side indicator unit when trying to fit it back in place, unfortunatly the plastic clips had become very brittle with age and they snapped off so now I need to buy a new indicator unit :cry: .
For anybody thinking of doing this job then I can tell you that you dont actually have to remove the indicator units, it does make things easier but if your very careful and have enough patience then you wont need to remove them. Removing the battery is essential with this job though and it only takes 2 minutes to do :) The downside is that it will reset the service miles on your speedo. Some people have managed it by moving the battery to the side but I didnt have enough room to access all the screws even with the battery moved so I took it out.

The lights do look good though and unfortunately the pics below dont do them any justice at all. Its been raining all day here in Wales so it wasnt exactly the best of times to be changing the lights but I got there in the end. :D
My Light Lenses need polishing because their becoming very hazy these days, thats on the list too! 8)

I also dropped the coilovers down another 20mm the other day to give it a better look and adjusted the damping settings becuase I have had it set on hard for the last few months.

Another Job I got out the way today was fitting a better air feed for the BMC CDA. I had it running the standard BMC feed (cut in half) before but mounted to the OEM Air feed which was very restrictive. I have now removed the horrible OEM Octopus feed and replaced it with an air feed I bought from ebay which not only looks better but makes a much sweeter note when the car is climbing through the revs.

The Car is in for a service tomorrow and its also getting the tracking done so I will post some better pics of the car when all that is sorted. I still need to get my Manifold, Short Shifter & Strutbrace fitted so I am going to dedicate my next 2 or 3 weekends to the Polo and finally get it to the standard I want it at.

I want to start on the cars first detail this year and also tidy up the engine bay.

Here are a few pics taken in November Last Year with the RXII's fitted. Quality is poor because the pics have been reduced.

Ben 8)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Ben's Polo GTI Progress Thread - New Pics Page 3

Post by Tim_GTi »

Great stuff mate!
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Some really good progress going here mate,it's quite nice and refreshing to see so many things going but kept to a decent quality.

Ive been looking at the Spax Coilovers,have they been really good for you?.I also read you say the Venom coilovers are Spax rebranded is that right?.

Keep up the good work dude.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Thanks for the kind comments lads :)

Your spot on there Bradley the Venom Coilovers are actually produced by Spax. Basically they buy them from Spax, powder coat them blue and stick a few Venom stickers on them. It's cheaper to buy the Venom Coilovers rather than the genuine Spax kit despite them being identical.

I think their awesome to be honest and although they cost an extra £150 to AP's or Weitecs you do get the benefit of the fully adjustable damping settings.
Some coilovers can be prone to ceasing too but these have been fantastic, I keep them well greased and cover the exposed threads with tape to keep them clean.

The car had a full service yesterday and it feels great now, especially now the tracking has been done.
I will try to get some better pics this weekend showing the car with the G60 wheels.

Ben :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

RX2s are looking like new - did you get them refurbed?
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

alexperkins wrote:RX2s are looking like new - did you get them refurbed?
I bought them last year from John (Redline) and they had just been freshly refurbed so they were immaculate.
Unfortunately I stupidly neglected them in december and I will now need to perform a light refurb on the outer rims, its only very minor corrosion but I want them looking bling bling for the shows this year so I will be refurbing them myself.

I still have the original set of 15" RXII's which also require a refurb so if anybody is interested in purchasing a set of standard wheels then send me a PM.

Ben,
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Are the outer rims just polished?

Im gonna get around to refurbing my 16s at somepoint this year. Gotta find somewhere that can do a decent job of painting the centers first!