Polo 6R to Mk7.5 Tsi Evo R-Line

A section of the forum for members to show off their non-polo vehicles.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Polo 6R to Mk7.5 Tsi Evo R-Line

Post by Willni »

Well that's my time as a polo owner over, 2014 Polo from 30 miles up up 47,000 miles, the car is leaving my possession in a better condition than I got it. Now it's time for life with my Ex-demo Mk7.5 Golf R-line Evo Tsi 150bhp, which will also be getting modified in a similar OEM+ fashion. Still have my Edition 30, it won't be going anywhere love it too much still far far better than the mk7 and 7.5 GTi PP's, but the 1.5 Tsi a lovely balanced car for a realistically warm hatch for everyday use.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Re: Polo 6R to Mk7.5 Tsi Evo R-Line

Post by blackertracker »

VW have recently admitted there’s an issue with the 1.5 Evo engine in case you’re not aware. Hopefully a software fix is on the way.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ownin ... vo-engine/
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

blackertracker wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:07 pm VW have recently admitted there’s an issue with the 1.5 Evo engine in case you’re not aware. Hopefully a software fix is on the way.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ownin ... vo-engine/
Great news when I'd been googling the problems and then the day after I buy it, that article is written :oops: don't know what to do now don't exactly want a 2.0 tdi version which they have sitting there available.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Have you given it a thorough test drive? If you have and you’re happy with it then no problem. I’d test low speed stop/start driving in particular as the ‘kangarooing’ issue shows up most then. Perhaps get the dealer to give you a written guarantee that if the issue occurs you can reject the car for a full refund.

From what I’ve read for some reason not all cars are affected by the problem, and those that are do it from new. I will say though that the motoring press did report issues with the 1.5 Evo engine some time ago, and owners forums have been complaining about it for a year, so caveat emptor.

VW Group engines have been a lottery for years now, it’s disappointing how their engineering standards have fallen. I waited a good while until after the EA888 series engines had been out in the wild after the Golf Mk7 launch before I was confident enough to commit to purchasing a VW Group car with one. I initially wanted the 1.4 ACT engine, which has also proven reliable, but ultimately discounted it due to being belt cam and hardly any cheaper than a chain cam GTI engine.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

blackertracker wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:57 pm Have you given it a thorough test drive? If you have and you’re happy with it then no problem. I’d test low speed stop/start driving in particular as the ‘kangarooing’ issue shows up most then. Perhaps get the dealer to give you a written guarantee that if the issue occurs you can reject the car for a full refund.

From what I’ve read for some reason not all cars are affected by the problem, and those that are do it from new. I will say though that the motoring press did report issues with the 1.5 Evo engine some time ago, and owners forums have been complaining about it for a year, so caveat emptor.

VW Group engines have been a lottery for years now, it’s disappointing how their engineering standards have fallen. I waited a good while until after the EA888 series engines had been out in the wild after the Golf Mk7 launch before I was confident enough to commit to purchasing a VW Group car with one. I initially wanted the 1.4 ACT engine, which has also proven reliable, but ultimately discounted it due to being belt cam and hardly any cheaper than a chain cam GTI engine.
The one I tested had no problems, other than overly rusty brakes. During rush hour I test drove it as well, I'll make sure to test this one (lower miles) very thoroughly, but I have 30 days to reject the car in the eyes of trading standards and 30 days or 1,000 miles with volkswagen. The DSG boxes are a bit of a danger at the minute though as the mechatronics can suddenly die at mileage as low as 16k!

Standards definitely have dropped with them, my mk5 golf Edition 30 is brilliant apart from the ABS Pump which I'm hoping turns into a recall after others have. But I've had no problems with my little Polo other than a couple of rattles, and the front anti-roll bar bushes squeaking.