My 6N, Dutch style of course

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Re: My 6N, Dutch style of course

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Dan 6N wrote:Well I think you were the bloke with the hat? But you seemed to disappear after you parked up! See ya next year then mate :D
No, Geoff of HAVOC told me to park up in front off the ramp/stage, since I've won a second award, which was handed out later on during the award-show, so I waited right next to the big white tent 8)

Also a minor up-date on the project, bidded on an Ebay auction a while back, even forgot about it, untill I just received an email stating I just won a pair of mk4 GTI front brakes + wheelhubs etc., the whole piece I'll need to convert the front to 256mm GTI brakes ^_^

So a big brake upgrade for the mk4 this winter, front goes from 239mm to 256mm, and the rear from drums to 232mm discs :wub:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

You may as well get some 280mms for the front whilst they're all out!
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Don't know if people hear knew, but I drive a mk2 Polo as a daily driver, lowered 70-40 on yellow Koni's with KW spring, polybushed etc. not much to look at, but a straight laugh to drive around in and looking people watch :D
So what does one do with the upcoming winter & christmas? Yes, one add decorative balls for christmas :D

Oh, and did some work on the mk4's front bumper as well today:

Just need to get that plastic welded in upcoming week, been busy all day long just to get that red part to fit 90% perfect
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Interesting mate, look forward to seeing the progress with the brakes. Could do with your help regarding the 6n2 clocks, dials working but not revmeter. Any tips?
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Polo96CL wrote:Interesting mate, look forward to seeing the progress with the brakes. Could do with your help regarding the 6n2 clocks, dials working but not revmeter. Any tips?
Which year is your mk4 build? Did you had the old type clocks or the new ones? (new = temp+fuel-level on the top, old = on left&right)
You are now facing the CanBus-issue I told you about. It's almost impossible to explain what I actually changed to the internals of the tacho to make it work, but I could help you out physically if wanted? (if wanted -> PM please)
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

They are the old clocks mate, the ones with the fuel guage on the bottom right and the temp on the bottom left. Do you know if the 6n2 GTi clocks would differ much to the 6n2 standard ones?

Still running that traditional dutch themed polo, I love it!
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

It's been some time since I've logged in on here, but here are some of the most recent up-date's:

-Picked up my "new" front and rear bumper last night, nothing "spectacular" when it comes to polyfibre bumpers (which seem to be hot at the moment here in The Netherlands :unsure: ) Just the regular ol' 16v one's, but with smoothed license plate and tow-eye up front, and a smoothed tow-eye on the rear :ph34r:
What some fooking about with a plastic-weld-machine and some hard work by my body-shop can do ay? :lol:

So it's just the good ol'fashion original OEM 16v VW one's, with a little bit of smoothing. Nothing stunning, but more stylish then any polyfibre bumper can ever be :wub:

Some steps taken:
-bottom-end was brought over to the refurbisher (if that's the correct elgish word for it :lol: ) to get the bore redone and all parts cleaned/flushed (bottom-end, crank, pistons etc.)
-new bearings (crank-main, piston, axials) and pistonrings are purchased
-the new brake set-up (Polo GTI hubs with G60 brackets for 280mm up front, and Golf mk3 16v calipers with mk2 discs on the back) completely cleaned out, got some maintenance and is now waiting to get sandblasted in order to get resprayed in black (stealthy look)
-and ordered a set of Goodridge braided hoses for the brakes:

Make a quick start sand-blasting the new brake-parts, on the left a caliper-holder waiting to get blasted away, on the right one that's nearly finished, some minor spots left, but at least it's identifiable as a Lucas-part though :lol:

All brake-parts are sandblasted, degreased and sprayed them this morning:

Before:

After:

And pushed in the new front wheel-bearings:

Hubs done, with the bearings and all in, I'll put on the Zimmermann drilled G60 discs and Ferodo DS Performance pads this week:

Just fancied the black, dark, non-suspicious colour, no shouting colour, just OEM-looking, stealthish for a mk4 Polo B)

Got the engine back from it's cleaning, re-bored the piston-holes, cleaned/flushed everything out, checked all bearing-insert, all is a 101% again B)

And engine-plans have changed along the way as can be seen, no more AEE 1.6 8v, precise details will be posted up lateron B)

Some more up-dates!

Quickly assembled to front brakes, have to admit it's quit a lot bigger then the original 8v discs :-D

Also my Goodridge braided hosing set came in yesterday.
And had some bits, bobs and bolts treated together with the stuff of a mate of mine, here's an overview of our bits and pieces after treatment:

Mailman came around my house again today, he's starting to become one of the family by the judge of how many times he's coming around lately :lol:

Sachs reinforced clutch kit, with plates, pressuregroup, bearing and lightened flywheel

Better start with putting that damn engine back together now B)

And finally ordered me some stuff at the VW dealership, nice freshly new parts :D

Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Great stuff dude!
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Took off the rear air-suspension-struts today. I want to drive as low as possible on the rear upcoming year, already rolled the arches, am adding camber plates, fitting more streched tyres, less point on the list was to adjust the struts!

Stiffened them Koni's up almost to maximum :D

And who needs bumpstoppers anyway?

Gave the internals a check-up, cleaned some stuff, and resealed it all again properly, and refitted the struts of course:

Probably going to ride stiffer then me in the morning, but who cares, lowriding baby :D
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

great work, as per usual :P :D

need some pics of the car with the new bumpers on :)

also, if you dont mind me asking, how much did the whole air ride setup cost you?
and what company did you use?

cheers jarno ;)
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

racerjonzo wrote:great work, as per usual :P :D

need some pics of the car with the new bumpers on :)

also, if you dont mind me asking, how much did the whole air ride setup cost you?
and what company did you use?

cheers jarno ;)
Thanks! I bought me a GAS-airride set, second-handed, 5 months old, for 1300 euro, added more valves, chromed tank, 2 new bigger viair compressors, lots of hoses, extra gauge, for roughly speaking a 1000. So it's about 2300 euro I spend on the air-suspension. And lot's of time, since installment + adding&modifying the air-suspension was all carried out in my own garagebox by Me,Myself&I Inc. :lol:
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

Nice one, cheers again jarno

oh and get some pics up with the new bumpers on :)

any new wheels planned for the next coming months?
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

racerjonzo wrote:Nice one, cheers again jarno

oh and get some pics up with the new bumpers on :)

any new wheels planned for the next coming months?
Who needs new wheels when he/she has perfect condition wide RS'es with stretched tires? :roll: :lol:
No, I'm sticking with the RS'es, only swapping the rear tires though. 8J with 185-45-15 is swapped for 175-50-15. Slightly higher, but more stretched, and adding camber plates so that the rear airride can drop further untill the chassis hits the tires.

Bumpers will have to wait to get on, still working on the car, so with the bumpers off it's easier not to damage them :mrgreen:
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

ah cool
well once you get it back to showroom condition get some nice pics up
your car inspires me to actually keep going with my lil polo project lol

cheers jarno :wink:
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

racerjonzo wrote:ah cool
well once you get it back to showroom condition get some nice pics up
your car inspires me to actually keep going with my lil polo project lol

cheers jarno :wink:
I will mate, I'll post them up asap when they're on ;) And glad to be inspiring you, keep on Dubbin'! 8)