6n Common Faults

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Engine cutting out seems to be a common fault amongst some dubbers. Idling issues and the engine cuts out whenever it feels. ain't met anyone who's sorted the problem out yet but i've already tried the distributor coil, throttle cleaning, new plugs and leads, new induction and still no hope. Others have tried crank sensor too but I'v opted to take it to the dealer after the £££ spent already on it
polomintyfox
New

Watersanogo

Post by polomintyfox »

Allrite every1, 1st post, i have a 95 polo mk4 fox. 1.05l. mine seems to play up in the rain, seems like uve lost the bite and it goes to stall, my worst experience was driving in heavy rain, my car dying and havin to push and steer it 2 wait 4 it to dry out before i went to work lol dunno if any1 else has had this problem. or if its summet bad on my part :?
Acemo
1st Stage Warning

Post by Acemo »

elecrtic windows are absolute pap

if you grind your gears (not reverse) you will have fun getting it into 1st and 2nd.

centre console lights died on mine, all of them

i broke really hard one day, imobaliser kicked in and had to be ripped out to stop it from doing it again

if your batterys die in your remote and you try opeining it with the key when you locked it with the remote the alarm goes off and dsnt stop

they dont like deep puddles or flooded roads either :shock:
martz
New

Post by martz »

I've got a really bad problem, my brand new battery dies really quickly as in a day, say i jump start it and leave it on for say 10 minutes giving it some gas, it will start up again in maybe an hour or so, but come back the next day and teh battery is practically dead and trying to start it only makes the speedo and rev counter whirr and the alarm engage, i've got no idea what could be draining the battery, i've taken out the jvc stereo and kept it locked with the alarm off but no avail.
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

I'm suffering with the idle issue. Its getting me down. Love the dub to bits its 97 with only 24k on the clock (genuine miles). I've cleaned my throttle body, i've changed throttle body and had ut set up, ive tried disconnecting my battery, i've replaced my temp sender and also had a new lambda. Nothing has worked so far. i kinda hear a whining noise coming from the back, near the fuel pump/tank. I've had it on the scanner twice. All at appeared was Over fueling and lambrda rate exceeded, wich is to do with over fueilng.
timmywills17
New

Post by timmywills17 »

check for full central locking if all doors open and close when opened from one side... :?
bango690
New

Post by bango690 »

baught mine a week ago and the oil seals on teh gearbox shafts have failed!
cuts out cumming to junctions
windows dont always go dwn
so just the norm by the look @ it!
nickyb05
New

Post by nickyb05 »

i have had the same problem with idling and cutting out but only when it gets warm( as soon as you press the clutch) took it too the mechanics and they cleaned my carbretta? and it hasn't happened since.
helairmike
New

6n Problems

Post by helairmike »

Temp sensor replaced this week - fixed starting problem and fast idle when warm issue.

Water Pump went 5000 mls ago - sounded like something exoensive but replaced this at home £23 and about an hours work - replace the timing belt at the same if you replace the pump as this is only about an extra £18 and easy to do. Had a problem with intermittent cutout on a previous same model isolated this to a distributer - you can get a replacement for about £56 today on exchange. Minor rust - near side rear wheel arch.
K44DUB
New

Re: 6n Common Faults

Post by K44DUB »

I have a white polo 6n (1999) 1.0 Match with 65,000 miles on clock.and all these 'common faults' im reading on here i have never had on mine. For a T Reg car she obviously has a few very small rust spots here and there (mainly on the roof)
But mechanically wise my baby has been fine! Starts first time every time even on the frosty mornings and i have left her stood a few weeks before and been worried about her not starting but she ceases to amaze:-)
Just to letting you know as far as im aware there are no real faults-or im about to curse my car and all the faults listed will ocur in the next 1,000 miles lol
TPT.50
New

Post by TPT.50 »

Top suspension bearings on older models (front) if theres a problem with these bearings, you can usually hear them "cracking"

Good luck in your quest, Tony.
TPT.50
New

Re:

Post by TPT.50 »

Exinferis wrote:Cor, you guys are startin' to worry me, you really are!

But, owning a MK4 can't be that bad, surely?

I'm slightly put-off buying one now, but my love affair with VW means I'll most likey trust my luck and get one anyway! :roll:
I'm on my seventh Polo, started with a 1988 mk 2 , at present up up to a 1999 V reg MK 4, look after them and they'll look after you, in 8 years I've never had a ball breaking bill. On purchase if you have no proof of a cambelt change invest the £100 or so and be safe,if it snaps, you may as well say bye bye to your beloved Polo,

Good Luck, Tony.
casperj
New

Post by casperj »

hi all, i have recently purchased an 00' plate polo 1.4 16v. now the engine management light will not stay off.i have has it read and the code keeps coming up sayin bank 1 which is the lambda sensor.anyway this is wot happened.....

when i bought the car i knew the catalyst was blowing on the flexi bit so decided to put a new cat on and had the light turned off,a few miles later the light came back on with the same code. mechanic at tanvic said to try the lambda the sensor on bank 1,so went and bought a new 1 which absolutely killed my pocket costing £155 quid trade price :(.
so put this on then had light turned off... guess wot the bloody light came back on!! saying the same thing.my mate said it is obviously coming from the engine side running too lean.here are the codes:

4497 mixture adaption,range 1 (bank 1) mixture too lean

41A4 catalytic converter system (bank 1) inadequate effect

could this be the fuel pump by any chance.i have just had a full service done aswell including fuel filter.when the car is idling it makes a whurring sound like the timing sounds out,yet it drives fine.

has any1 else had this problem as its starting to cost me alot of money. please help!!!!!
casperj
New

Re:

Post by casperj »

Speedlaw wrote:As a confirmation to a few of the faults mentioned so far, this week my car experienced the demise of both window motors two days after one another (very expensive parts btw) and the throttle body cleaning/idling issue.

hi speed, so have you cleaned the throttle body and did it help the idling issue????
casperj
New

Post by casperj »

anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)