6n Common Faults

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
dubster82
Getting There!

Post by dubster82 »

JJJJJEEESSSSUUUSS!!!!!!!!1 :shock:

Reading through that list makes me think my Corrado is a real reliable motor!!!!! :lol:

i know about the funky idle tho, my GF and my mate both bought polos from the same dealer about a month apart (GF - 1.0l bottom model, mate 1.4 16v 8) ) and they've both been back to the dealers cause of the idle. may mates 3 times and my GF's is onits second idle problem, and they haveny had them that long!!!!

Thats VW's for ya.

im lovin the polo tho, it kinda reminds me of my MKI Golf in a happy go lucky style :D:D:D:D:D
Axlefoley
New

Post by Axlefoley »

Speedlaw wrote:As a confirmation to a few of the faults mentioned so far, this week my car experienced the demise of both window motors two days after one another (very expensive parts btw) and the throttle body cleaning/idling issue.
This is nothin about the subject but i just have to ask about those wheels what kind, how mucho and what size cheers. 8)
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Ronal R10s in 7x15in (i think).

not sure on cost but there not the cheapest rims out there...
Axlefoley
New

Post by Axlefoley »

The only problems ive had are the wishbone rubbers seemed to go rather easily and the wheel bearings.Bot that could be due to the 16inch fox 6 rims ive got on. :lol:
wrighty
Bronze Member

Post by wrighty »

So far I've had a two of the vanes on the water pump snap which was a real bastard as I was the other side of bimingham at 2.00 in the morning on the way to Cornwall. (traveling from the northwest) Cambelt must also be changed at 60K like most other VW's but as yet no rust or other major problems.
chubbster
Silver Member

Post by chubbster »

rocker gasket went on mine recently, bit of a bugger as the cars only done 35k. is that wear and tear or keen driving or fault in the original gasket?
Exinferis
New

Post by Exinferis »

Speedlaw wrote:
- Under the rubbers that cover the holes in the doors, where the hinge goes in
- At the very end of the rubber strips on the roof, where the roof meets the boot lid
- Behind the plastic mirror bases (normally invisible)
WOW! :shock: Nothing changes does it? I had all those spots on my old 86 Polo! Hah!

Sorry, I know that's probably not constructive, but just thought I'd point out the irony :oops: :oops:
Exinferis
New

Post by Exinferis »

Cor, you guys are startin' to worry me, you really are!

But, owning a MK4 can't be that bad, surely?

I'm slightly put-off buying one now, but my love affair with VW means I'll most likey trust my luck and get one anyway! :roll:
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

It's not that bad, but it does have its faults... Like any car really.

I reckon it's not a bad choice, and I would buy one again, knowing what I know now.
Exinferis
New

Post by Exinferis »

Well, as you say, you take your chance with any car really. I'd rather have a VW over, say, a Ford...just can't seem to get on with them... :roll:

I was looking at getting a fairly new one, about '99. But, not sure that my buget will stretch now, so I've been looking at some slightly older models; '96 onwards. You seem clued up, are the older models that much different from the newer ones? In your opinion, would I be shooting myself in the foot getting an older one?

I've only ever had really old cars before now; one's I've bought for a few hundred quid. So I'd like something I don't have to spend loads of money on just to keep it running this time!

Any advice greatfully received! :D
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Well there's a shift half way in the Mk4 model period.

From model year 1998 onwards (which starts in August of 1997, mind) the electronics changed. This meant it received a better looking dash (different feel, hardly noticable though), different clocks (again, more modern), and different electronics/wiring. Don't know if that did any good or not, but there must've been a reason to change it.

Also, the 1998 models received slightly rolled arches.

I believe the Variant/Classic models stayed the same, and only changed as per the 2001 model change, when they (or at least, the Variant) received the Mk5 dash, mirrors, etc. Could be wrong though...

I own a pre-98 model and it's fine - didn't really experience any old age problems with the electronics or otherwise, so it's by no means a bad choice to go for an older model.

Also, they did not deal with the occasional rust spots that can appear. They dealt with this issue on the Mk5, which should be completely (or perhaps mostly?) zinc-plated and thus rust proof, just like the Mk4 Golf, etc. Even so, there are Mk5's that have rust - mainly due to shoddy repair work.
Exinferis
New

Post by Exinferis »

Wow! Thanks for all that info, that's really helped to settle my mind now!

I don't mind having to repair a few odds and sods if they crop-up, I just didn't fancy doing the work I had to do on my old '86 Polo; that really hurt my pocket!

I've had a look at your site and have to say yours looks very nice! Love the Recaro seats!
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Thanks, hope you find a a car to your liking.

8)
SundeepTT
Getting There!

Post by SundeepTT »

there's some interesting stuff posted here

good work :D

btw.. I'm a serious racing TT owner with a MkIV Polo
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

rust on the rear arches. i got one reprayed last year and its come back! ive just sold it.