Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Speedlaw

Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Post by Speedlaw »

Weird things happen.

Two weeks ago, my power windows failed. Both of them, within two days.

That's odd, I thought, so I ripped off the door cards to see if there was still power going into the doors. The relay still 'clicked' but nothing happened (so I knew the fuse + relay were still ok). Power was fine when measured on the plug going into the motor...

Took it to VW, to had my diagnosis of faulty motors confirmed, and they did. So I ordered two new motors, which retail @ 170€ or approx. 110 Sterling. Not happy.

So then the weirdest thing happened. I stumbled across a VW video (meant for VW employees) where this exact problem was described. It showd the clicking relay, but no window movement. It then went on to describe how a repair kit could be used to fix the problem. The motors themselves are fine, but the mechanism is faulty - replace that and they're good to go again. The toothed wheel that controls the upwards movement blocks, if replaced all is well again.

Allright, I thought - why didn't my dealer come up with that solution?

I confronted them the following week, and told them about the video. They gave me empty stares. They had *no* clue. At all.

So ok, I thought, watch for yourselves then - To my amazement, the chief mechanic actually watched my video that evening (it's online somewhere) and called me personally today.

The guy actually apoligised!

He double checked my information with VW NL and it checked out ok, obviously.

They're replacing my motors with refurbished ones (meaning, formerly blocked ones or otherwise fully working units as they've lost my old ones), and they'll refund the money I spent on the new ones. All this free of charge (well maybe I'll have to spend 40€ on both repair kits) but other than that it's all on them...

I just had a taste of victory, and here's three hurray's to my mechanic for not being to stubborn and for actually taking me seriously!

Part number for the repair kit:

6N3 998 801 A

Cost is approx. €20 per side.

Yay!
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

Cool !
Lol
dubster82
Getting There!

Post by dubster82 »

Hhmmmm...... :?

I wonder if thats the problem with my Girlfriends polo.....

never worked since day one!!! :shock:

any one know what the funny black handles on the door cards are by the way? :lol::lol::lol:
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Funny black handles? Eh?
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

I get it :lol:

He means the winders
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Doh!

:lol:
dubster82
Getting There!

Post by dubster82 »

:lol::lol::lol:
DragonPolo
New

Post by DragonPolo »

i have had same problem since i got my polo my left window was f*****g up and now its ok and now my right window will work fine about 3 times up and down then its like the motor over heats 1 of my mates said spray WD40 down the side of the window and it will be fine, so maybe ill try that but its not exactley a huge problem is it ? i find if i leave my window up for like 2 days its fine for about a week then if i use it too much it goes again, might just have to leave it up for a month and it will be ok lol
Foggy
New

Post by Foggy »

Just picked up the repair kit from the local dealers who at first denied it even existed !!

Then told me it wouldn't fix it from their experience plus the obligatory remark "we will not take it back" etc etc

Cost me £26 in all... damn load cheaper than a new motor at £127+vat each.

just hope it fixes it as the wife is nagging about it.
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

My passenger window started going up real slow, now it cuts out & takes 3 attempts to get it all the way up. :(

Is this the same problem as everyone else?

I might remove the door panel to see whats in there, how it works etc, see if I can clean lube or 'fix' anything. Any help on this one?

Cheers
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

If it cuts out it may be something else. See if the runners are lubed, and if there's no cable issue; i.e. if the power at the switch is constant.
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

I can here it still giving power, it seems like there's just too much resistence. Is there any fail safe that cuts it out after a certain amount of time or resistence...?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Well, what happens to a lot of cars is that the mechanism blocks up. There's a teethed wheel inside the winder mechanism, and for some reason this blocks up and fails to move any further. Usually, the windows won't go down, but will go up. Lucky us.

Check if the runners are properly lubed, if they're not you may find that the resistance is too high and the motor won't get it up or down in one go. There's no failsafe (unless you've already got the repair kit) so there's no stopping it even if there's a lot of resistance.
BlooPolo
New

Post by BlooPolo »

SteveB wrote:I can here it still giving power, it seems like there's just too much resistence. Is there any fail safe that cuts it out after a certain amount of time or resistence...?
hi just joined and saw this thread, this is exactly what i get on a 6N2, 2001. I can drop both windows down, then if I raise both windows using the auto close, the left one slows down and is only half shut by the time the drivers side is closed. If i fully open and close the left window two or tree times in a row, the window will jam, I hear clicks from the switch or motor, but it doesnt budge and you have to wait a while, sometimes 1 min, sometime 5 before it goes back up again :(

Just before the car went in for a service last august, I told vw about this along with the boot washer pipe leaking into the boot. They fixed the washer pipe but said there was nothing wrong with the windows, I'll have to take it in before my warranty is out this year and actually show them :(
noodlez_polo
Getting There!

window

Post by noodlez_polo »

similar prob with my 6n! left window goes down but not back up again. it tries but nedds help after a second. anyone know if the repair kit will mend my motor? or whether i could mend it without the extra parts etc..?