Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

I dont believe it. Well actually i do because its happened. After about a week of it dying on me, my driver's side window has come back from the dead to help me in my time of need. Well not really a time of need but I tried it on the off-chance as i went through the McDonalds drive through. I'm guessing its just a dodgy conection some where so that will have to be looked at somepoint. Haha any way I'm chuffed.
danny_boy
Silver Member

Post by danny_boy »

can you buy these repair kits from anywher online?
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

You could probably get them off the VAG parts link from the bottom of the forum.
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

ahh balls to it. Windows packed up good now :evil: Started whining and going down reeeaaallllyyy slllooooowww. Then just stopped.... HALFWAY OPEN. So manages to basically lift it shut now nothing happens when i push the switch :( How much for new motor etc :?:
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

its about £150 plus VAT plus fitting from VW but its a hell of a lot cheaper from VAG parts!
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Well I found the lot for £70 but I'm taking a chance that this wont go.
redbellyben
New

Post by redbellyben »

i just got a polo and the drivers window didnt work.passengers worked perfect but checked the fuses...nothing wrong,checked relays...still clicking...nothing wrong, put my ear to the door and i could hear a ticking/clicking sound also,so i knew it was something other then the motor.took the door card off undo the motor and slide it out of the mount slightly but not all the way,sprayed some wd40 in there to lube it up abit then quickly pressed the button and hay prestow it all came into life,put everything back together and i havant had a problem since...i cant tell you what was wrong or how i fixed it but as much as i can tell is that it had just seized slightly and needed a little help.
ximon
New

Post by ximon »

My drivers side window was like this, it slowed down till it stopped working, i stripped the door down took the glass out to get motor out easier and lubed the motor a bit more, rebuilt it and now its fine
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Does anyone know the part of the mechanism which is prone to going? Because if its a certain bit that has gone on 9 out of 10 peoples car chances are thats whats gone on mine.
marcman
New

Did anybody download the window repair tech video?

Post by marcman »

Anyway: It's not that big of a repair, judging from the video. What video? This 25 meg German VW video.
Did anybody download the VW window repair video referenced in this thread? The link is now dead and I can't find it anywhere else on the web. If you did and you're able to send it on to me plase let me know. I will then host it and make it available to download.

Thanks
Marc
tomadomeit
New

Post by tomadomeit »

Once the door card is off how do you remove the motor and mechanism and glass?

My motor makes nasty clunking grinding sound as if it has ceased up. My window will only open about 2 cm and has to be pushed up again. Is there a way of bringing the motor back to life?

Will a repair kit fix this or do i need a new motor completely.
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

hey i just joined and i am also having a problem with my passenger side window because it doesn't even open at all because when you press da switch you can hear a clicking noise but the window doesnt budge at all but the drivers side and the sunroof open and close perfectly i have checked the fuse and i know it is not that so does anyone know what it could be and how i could solve the problem,

ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !!

CHEERS[/b]
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

To both tomadomeit & polo gangsta, it sounds like the problem that the repair kit should fix. Basically you're going to have to remove the motor to find out more info.

So to remove the motor and mechanism you will want to remove the glass also [I'm not sure how else it can be done], normally this isn't a hard job but without being able to drop the window down to unclamp it you may have some problems.

I'll show how I removed my glass and motor then hopefully you can work from that. This is all from memory so forgive me if I forget a bit. Right remove doorcard and inner liner thingy [haynes manual tells you how to do this]. Then you should see something like this:

There's a black runner for front and back of the window [right and left in the pic] with gold coloured screws. Each runner has a rubber lined metal clamp which holds the glass in place. Both these need undoing to remove the glass, I lowered my window to get it in a position where I could easily undo the 10mm bolt with a socket. You guys might have to try to get an open ended or ratchet spanner up there.

The clamp:

Once the clamps are loose, I just pulled the glass up rear end first and out it comes. The rubber can stick to the glass a bit so give it a wiggle. For you guys I think you'll need to have somebody hold the glass whilst you undo and remove the runners [4 gold coloured bolts]. Once you've pulled the runners down out of the way the glass should come out the same as mine did. Put if somewhere safe!

After that to remove the motor/mechanism its just a couple more bolts, a plastic clip and some manouvering to get it all out. Maybe a wire connector to unclip if you haven't already but you'll soon see.

I hope that helps and you can work out which part isn't working correctly from that. Mine didn't need the repair kit so apart from this thread I can't help anymore on that one, but I'm sure somebody else can.

The problem I and some others had with the windows was basically they worked very slowly and sometimes stopped when going up. This was caused by too much friction from the window twisting from being only attatched to one of the runners. The clamps are attatched to the runners with sh**y plastic clips which must brake on every Polo eventually.

This is where the plastic/nylon clip has broken off:

And how the clamp goes on [thumb pic too :)]:

One side of the clip is still there on this one, but I decided to check all 4 on my car. All were broken on at least one side therefore not providing a very safe/secure window. To make sure the clamp didn't drop off of the runner again [I was on Dartmoor when it happened to me :(], I used a hand drill to make an about 1.5-2mm hole through the plastic 'block'. Don't go too big or it'll just fall to bits. Also don't drill through the seem as this will weaken it more. Next I used some stiff wire to fabricate a split pin to stop the clamp from slipping off. I'd advise putting some sort of rubber between the clamp and pin because mine rattles quite a lot. Next time I need to take the door to bits I'll have a go at mine.

I didn't get an after pic but I hope you get the idea.

Steve :D
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

cheeers m8 i will hopefully know what to do now
thanx agen 4 da pics n da help
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

polo gangsta wrote:cheeers m8 i will hopefully know what to do now
thanx agen 4 da pics n da help
No problem. Feel free to show your appreciation but not talking/ typing 'gangsta' all be it your name. :)