Clutch change problems

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Clutch change problems

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hi guys,

Just copying this head from the engines/powertrains section - just after a quickish response and I know less people check the sections lower down the list ;) Anyway, here goes:

Long time since I've been on uk-polos :D I'm having some troubles changing the clutch on my polo - it's a 6n 1.4 8v, 99/T reg. Everything under the bonnet seems roughly the same as on my old mk2 1.05, which I successfully changed the clutch on - it was an awkward job, but I got there in the end. However, with the mk4 I've got as far as trying to refit the gearbox and there just seems no way that it's going to go back on. After a few hours of trying I've worked out how to lift it into position to mate up to the clutch and the engine block, but it simply won't join up with the clutch assembly. Is there some kind of knack to it, or am I overlooking something? Any help much appreciated!
mart1n
New

Post by mart1n »

Funny you should ask that question. I've just helped a mate with the exact same thing. He had just fitted a new clutch and although he got the gearbox on enough for it to be able to hang under its own weight, he could not push it on far enough for it to be able to mate to the engine properly. As it turned out, the drivers side drive shaft, whilst it looked as though it was lined up with the gearbox, actually wasn't, and was stopping the 'box from locating properly. We unbolted the drivers side suspension from the hub and tilted the hub outwards, pulling the driveshaft outwards a little. The box then pushed straight on with no problem whatsoever. :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Cheers for that :) I actually gave up in the end and got my mechanic to do it for me this morning. He realigned the clutch because he reckoned I had it slightly off, and then he said to mount it you need to fit it with the diff at the bottom and then rotate it 90 degrees, because otherwise the driveshaft flange catches on something that stops it going on easily.

Think in future I'm just going to save up and have someone do the whole lot for me.. far too much hassle and I don't have the patience for it any more!
Rmachines
Getting There!

Post by Rmachines »

yea its similar to the golf, the diff gets in the way! If the clutch is not aligned perfectly it will be almost impossible to get in