panel filters

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
RO83
New

panel filters

Post by RO83 »

k as most people no standard airbox filters r restictive so im planning on getting an after market 1, i dont want a induction kit because i want to keep it looking factory plus in my opinion unless u pay nearly 200 pound for a bmc ur gonna end up with s**t loads of flat spots due to bay temperatures anyways my question is which 1 to go for my first choice is:
the pipercross panel filter http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_ ... ory=Filter

wat do people think of the bmc, k&n, and the jetex panel filters?? any1 have any comments
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Re: panel filters

Post by racerjonzo »

depends wat type/size of engine you got... you wont notice tht much of a difference on the lower engine side, and for a chance to improve power/noise youd be better just waiting for an induction and/or cone filter

ive got a 1.4 16v and have a k&n cone filter with a sorta heat shield around it to stop it getting too warm... it gives a nice noise if anything, cant say anything on power until i get other stuff done tbh.

so really go for a decent brand to make sure you get the best 'perfoming' panel filter rather than actual 'perfromance' gain, if that makes sense?

ie pipercross is a decent make aslong with your list... its not until your changing the whole setup of the filter till you notice any power difference, IMO anyway :).

hope that helps... sorta lol
RO83
New

Post by RO83 »

ye cheers i no im not gonna get mega bhp if any i jus really looking to let her breath a little more freely and maybe get a more responsive throttle otherwise not worried about noise so will prob just bight the bullet and go for the pippercross filter
Kam Racing
Bronze Member

Post by Kam Racing »

foam filters aren't as good as cotton ones in my opinion. of the cotton ones the Green are the best as they have no seepage of rubber from the frame onto the cotton gauze maximising airflow. BMC are the next best cotton filter as even though they have very very small amounts of rubber on the cotton it is still a lot less than other manufacturers like k&N.
RO83
New

Post by RO83 »

might be me being silly but i really dont understand that reply i understand that u dont like foam filters but dont understand ur reasons
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

i think wat Kam's trying to say is tht with foam filter, there can be seapage from the edges hence clogging up the actual filter and not letting the easy flowing of the air, but with cotton there not as much if any seapage hence better air flow and better performing :? i think thts wat kam meant, correct me if im wrong kam :wink:
RO83
New

Post by RO83 »

i see thanks prob me being dumb
Kam Racing
Bronze Member

Post by Kam Racing »

foam filters from my experience simply do not flow as well as cotton ones.

The seepage onto the filter issue relates to the mass production techniques of certain cotton filter manufacturers. cotton filters from BMC and Green do not suffer this as they are have better manufacturing processes.
RO83
New

Post by RO83 »

brill thanks for the heads up