Polo 6n - JDM Whore.. Takata & Bride!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Polo 6n - JDM Whore.. Takata & Bride!

Post by Tech-Ho »

Hey all,,

Thought I would create a post to show you the progress of my 6n Polo as i modify it EURO style!

I am 17 and i have done all the work myself and i plan to carry on doing all the prep & bodywork myself until its ready to be sent away for paint.
This is my first time doing any work on a car so i was a bit worried about doing it myself but i thought I'd give it a go!

I'm doing the car in stages, Side, rear, side, front, roof etc. Once everything has been done i will recheck before sending off to paint.

I paid £850 for it about 2-3 months ago and it was in pretty good condition, apart from a few rust spots here and there.

I decided to change the grill for a De Badged one a week after purchase.

I then removed the N/S bump strip and it revealed more rust spots so i worked them back, treated and filled over them.

I then began work on a dent on the Rear N/S arch.

The arch still needs a slight bit more filler but i decided to move onto the next phase (the other side).
I did the exact same on the O/S as i did the N/S. The Orange is primer-filler.

I then purchased a second hand Polo 16v body kit, front and rear bumpers.
If anyone has a website for the front grills on the bumper (full set) please post a reply as i cannot find any for my life!

I then removed the front bumper and began on the bonnet,, near enough completely coating it in primer-filler for all the stone chips and a deep scratch that went from the lower center to the middle right.

After spraying on the primer-filler,, a delivery arrived (just in time as i had to wait for the filler to dry before sanding).
I bought a Polo 6n2 (mk5) tailgate with a boot popper and duck-bill spoiler already fitted (happy days!)
I removed the original bootlid and fitted the new one with the help of my uncle.

If anyone knows how to make the bootlid sit flush with the lights please post on here! Ive heared about adjustments but what needs adjusting and how do i go about doing it!?!?

This is the story so far and i will update it after i do some more work on it!

Thanks for looking :)
Last edited by Tech-Ho on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
l0rne
Bronze Member

Re: My Polo - Project Rubba-Dub

Post by l0rne »

very nice, coming along well,

im in the same boat with the boot sticking out slightly, i reckon to puch the lock on the car back (not sure how without damaging anything) jus get mk5 taillights? fit you just need to take a bit plastic on inside out thats all
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

You wont be able to get the lights to fit flush unless you add spacers/washers to the nuts that attach them, even then you might get leakage. Why don't you put 6n2 lights on? I think these looks better and will eradicate any messing around getting them to sit flush :D

Car looks good, lots of hard work involved but its worth it in the long run :)
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Post by Tech-Ho »

l0rne wrote:very nice, coming along well,

im in the same boat with the boot sticking out slightly, i reckon to puch the lock on the car back (not sure how without damaging anything) jus get mk5 taillights? fit you just need to take a bit plastic on inside out thats all
Yea mate ive been told to loosen the catch on the bottom of the boot opening and move it back,, i tried to undo the star bolts earlier and they wouldnt budge at all.
And yea im going to get the tail lights from mk5 in the next week or two :) just gorra find soe for a reasonable price... job would help! lol
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Post by Tech-Ho »

Polo96CL wrote:You wont be able to get the lights to fit flush unless you add spacers/washers to the nuts that attach them, even then you might get leakage. Why don't you put 6n2 lights on? I think these looks better and will eradicate any messing around getting them to sit flush :D

Car looks good, lots of hard work involved but its worth it in the long run :)
Im getting thek5 tail lights within the next few weeks. But the bootlid itself has like a 1.5cm gap between the lights and the bootlid itself on the drivers side. The other side has very little gap, bit crooked so need to sort that out. Its sitting straight and true at the top so... will keep updated
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Post by Tech-Ho »

About time i updated the build i think... Havent really done much over the last few months as ive been sorting out the respray etc. (PICS TO COME SOON!)

The car has been sent off for spray and shall be returning withing the next week or so! Excited to see it!

Here are a few images before i sent it off for the spray...

New rear lights - Polo 6n2's

On the cars return, the arches will have been rolled, aerial removed, front licence plate smoothed, rear licence plate lights smoothed and a full respray!! ALL FOR LESS THAN £800!?!?! BARGAIN!

As soon as the car is back i shall upload more pictures of the car!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Intriguing. Im assuming you are still running a rear plate with a light?
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Post by Tech-Ho »

alexperkins wrote:Intriguing. Im assuming you are still running a rear plate with a light?
Yea fella,, got a few ideas of how to mount it but still undecided yet...
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

Car didn't even look all that bad originally. Takes a bit of balls to do ;)
Cant wait to see it back from the shop
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Post by Tech-Ho »

CharlesK wrote:Car didn't even look all that bad originally. Takes a bit of balls to do ;)
Cant wait to see it back from the shop
haha yea had one or two rust spots here and there like... wish i didn't start if im honest but it will look something special once done.

I think of it more as stupidity than balls! especially as though i cant afford to insure the bloody thing! lol
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Re: My Polo - Project Volks-Hall

Post by Tech-Ho »

SHE BACK! FINALLY!

The polo is officially Arden Blue and smooooooooooooooooth! :D Well happy with the job!

Photo's Send by the shop...

First time i saw it home!

Next on the agenda... Wheels and lowering! (as its despratelly high!)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Nice job on the paintwork. Ill be interested to watch your progress
l0rne
Bronze Member

Post by l0rne »

wow that looks really nice, what the plans next?

you lowering it? new wheels?
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

Really love the colour :wink: think the body shop needs to invest in a better camera though

Does look like you could fit a body shop between the wheel and the arch though :lol: Gonna look so nice when it's lowered. Plans for wheels?
Tech-Ho
Bronze Member

Post by Tech-Ho »

YEa im deffo in need of lowering it! arch gap is outstanding haha

Well some people may think im a bit mad or whatever, but im going to be putting vauxhaul parts on a volkswagen... "Volks-Hall".
So the paint (VXR Arden Blue), wheels and interiour (front seats) will be vauxhall VXR...

Everyone else with a polo simply smooths it EURO style or the new in thing is J'Euro... but as i like to be unique im going myown way and creating myown style, also building the car on a budget.

SHALL KEEP YOU UPDATED! Hope you like what i have done and what i have planned :)