Radio and window help 1998 polo

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
tankbuster
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 CL 1998

Radio and window help 1998 polo

Post by tankbuster »

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 1998 Polo 3dr 1.4CL (one lady owner from new less than 25,000 on the clock! :D ) The car has been serviced regularly and garaged overnight so is in lovely condition. Two things I need help with one of which is the passenger electric window. When the switch is depressed the engine revs dip so I guess there is power to the motor although the window doesn't move. There are quite a few posts here on the forums similar issues so I will have a read up and see if I can sort it. Any video's on the problem would be helpful if anyone has a link?

I would like to change the radio cassette unit (the booklet that came with the car shows it as a Sony FM/MW/LW CASSETTE CAR STEREO XR-3759) to a CD radio unit that will fit in the same space as I want to keep the original radio to put back if I ever decide to sell the car. I would appreciate any information and again links to shops etc on the type of unit and model number etc that will fit in place of the current one.

Many thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Radio and window help 1998 polo

Post by alexperkins »

The window is likely a broken wire between the door and the chassis inside the rubber boot and its causing a short - check that first of all

Another option can be that the motor has seized, or the runner cable has snapped which again is very common. Cheap to fix - you can get new regulators on ebay quite cheaply

As for the radio, its a standard single din radio. Pretty much anything will fit. I would suggest a pioneer head unit (personal preference). Halfords, amazon etc stock them

The car has a standard ISO connector, but youll need an aerial adapter for most radios as the polo has an ISO aerial plug, which nearly all aftermarket radios do not.
tankbuster
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 CL 1998

Re: Radio and window help 1998 polo

Post by tankbuster »

alexperkins wrote:The window is likely a broken wire between the door and the chassis inside the rubber boot and its causing a short - check that first of all

Another option can be that the motor has seized, or the runner cable has snapped which again is very common. Cheap to fix - you can get new regulators on ebay quite cheaply

Thank you for the advice/tips :)

As for the radio, its a standard single din radio. Pretty much anything will fit. I would suggest a pioneer head unit (personal preference). Halfords, amazon etc stock them

The car has a standard ISO connector, but youll need an aerial adapter for most radios as the polo has an ISO aerial plug, which nearly all aftermarket radios do not.
Thank you I really have no experience with this so your help is appreciated :)