Another Hesitation/stutter/misfire issue

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
matthew.hanson
New

Another Hesitation/stutter/misfire issue

Post by matthew.hanson »

Hi Guys, New to the Forum here, all the way from New Zealand!

I have a 99 polo 6n1 with the AEE Engine, I have only recently bought it and have now found out that when the engine is warm it starts stuttering , somewhat like a miss, but on all cylinders, I have given it a FULL Service and this hasnt helped, I have cleaned all the sensors( and replaced the Temp sensor ) and checked for any intake leaks, and I have also pulled the throttle body and cleaned it with no change, How likely is it that the throttle body is still at fault? the Car drives and stutters the same when the MAP sensor on the manifold is unplugged too so im thinking its still either the map or the throttle body is crook? I also found that my spark plug leads were shorting on the head which i have fixed , the issue is not as pronounced as it was, but still annoying enough to not want to drive it :S If anyone has some tips or tricks Id greatly appreciate it!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Another Hesitation/stutter/misfire issue

Post by alexperkins »

New plugs, leads and dizzy cap for a start

Clean the throttle body also

Check the earth strap on the dizzy
matthew.hanson
New

Post by matthew.hanson »

alexperkins wrote:New plugs, leads and dizzy cap for a start

Clean the throttle body also

Check the earth strap on the dizzy

got new leads in the post,should hopefully arrive tomorrow morning, the rest have all already been done, though with the earth strap, are you talking about the metal shielding from the cap to the body of the dizzy?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Follow the dizzy centre wire to the coil. That normally has an earth strap on it
matthew.hanson
New

Post by matthew.hanson »

alexperkins wrote:Follow the dizzy centre wire to the coil. That normally has an earth strap on it
ok cool, Ill check that in the morning, If i get lost ill take pictures :)
matthew.hanson
New

Post by matthew.hanson »

ok so i THINK it may be resolved, i finally go the plug wires in the mail, noticed that the wires are stamped 5kohm all over them unlike the old hard ones ( that i found are cracking in the plastic sleeve, so were likley shorting between each other! ) the only wire i didnt get because they sent me the wrong one was the dizzy to coil wire but the car now runs fine, took it for a good 15 minute drive in the rain and didnt find any issues where after about 5 minutes there would have been one , so im happy, for now...
matthew.hanson
New

Post by matthew.hanson »

I find it weird that the old wires were this badly worn though, Ive literally bought cars from the 1960's with the original leads on them that have less wear to them! ( Classic Mini )