Strange Gearbox knocking noise. HELP?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Olly__6n1
New
Drives: Polo 6n 1.4 8v

Strange Gearbox knocking noise. HELP?

Post by Olly__6n1 »

Sooo..I've got a strange knocking noise coming from, I believe it's the gear box. It's a very quiet knock and it isn't a constant knock either. The knocking occurs mostly in the lower gears upon acceleration and also when I hit bumps in the road. I can also feel the knocks with my hand on the shift knob and I might add the shifting doesn't feel as knochy anymore it feels sort of loose and inaccurate. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? It's very strange one too me, I've looked it up and found nothing that really explains the issue. And also, it may or may not have anything too do with the issue but I have a hole or crack or maybe a broken bolt on the exhaust right around the same area of the car, which I will be taking too a garage to get fixed/replaced as I can't get under the car myself. I'd rather not have a garage look into to the knocking problem as they could just rip me off and make up problems that don't exist. Aside from these issues the car does seem too run fine as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem low on power or anything like that. So any help/ pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Polo 6n1 1.4 8v
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Strange Gearbox knocking noise. HELP?

Post by alexperkins »

Gearbox engine mount may be worn out. Sounds like it's knocking under load