Central Locking

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
tankbuster
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 CL 1998

Central Locking

Post by tankbuster »

Recently bought a 1999 Polo in excellent condition with less than 25,000 miles. One issue that's annoying is that there is a different key for the drivers door (obviously had an issue with the lock at some point and changed it) unfortunately you have to turn the key in the clockwise direction to unlock it, opposite to what is normal? Are the locks right and left handed or is this an installation error? The other original key fits passenger and boot doors along with the ignition and central locks correctly :?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Central Locking

Post by alexperkins »

Thats a bit unusual. Normally its always left to unlock right to lock

You could get the drivers door lock either replaced or repinned to patch the other keys?

The other choice is, get an rclick remote central locking kit. They do a plug in loom for the 6N so its literally plug and play!
tankbuster
New

Post by tankbuster »

I asked a local garage mechanic who was also flumaxed, he could only suggest to try and turn the barrel round :( Anyway I took the handle off and couldn't see anything obvious but now I cant get it to work again! Just ordered a replacement handle complete with Lock and keys. Although I'll still be using a separate key I'm hoping it will work correctly when operating the lock. Didn't know about the Central locking kit, is that just a fob to open/close once fitted? Thanks for the help
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Turning the barrel around wouldn’t do a thing. It’s to do with how the door switch is working inside

Yeah. Just a fob to open and lock the doors. No need to use the key then
tankbuster
New

Post by tankbuster »

Have got the lock operating as before (it was the spring causing an issue) I'm back to turning the key anti clockwise to lock? Could it be that the central lock unit in the door has been wired the wrong way? I'm reluctant to start removing the door card when I don't know what I'm looking for with regards to the correct coloured wires on the correct connections :(
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

https://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.p ... ts_id=1052

Just get that and save yourself a lot of work

If you don’t want to have flip keys that you need to get cut Etc just ask them when you order to swap the flip keys to a fob you prefer from the fob page and they’ll do it
tankbuster
New

Post by tankbuster »

I decided to remove the door card and take a look. The wiring cannot be reversed due to the harness plug designed to fit one way only. Can anyone confirm that their drivers door unlocks by turning the key anti clockwise, as an internet search on the topic has not helped or confirmed either way :( I cant believe I'm the only one having this issue.

Thanks for the info re keyless entry, I'll look into it :)