1999 1.4CL Auto Car seems to be over revving.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Johnathan
New
Drives: 1999 1.4 automatic

1999 1.4CL Auto Car seems to be over revving.

Post by Johnathan »

Hello,

I have an 1999 1.4CL Auto and i've been having a few issues with my car of late but recently i have been noticing that my car is over revving when i am speeding up (gently not putting my foot down) so when doing about mils per hour i'm doing about 30 - 40,000 revs and when i go up to about 50 i am doing over 60,000 revs. i have recently changed the spark plugs, HT cables and added new oil. I changed the transmission oil as it was never changed from the previous owner and i thought that was the reason that why my car was jerking forward when it went from gear 1-2, it would do this when the car was cold and once ,y car would warm up the issue went away. But after a while the issue seems to have come back (the oil was thick and black). I am wondering if this is all related in some way and wonder if anyone could help me to try and figure out what is wrong with my car. Other than that it is an amazing drive for an 18 year old car !

I also don't know if this is relevant but I have also had the cam belt, distributor cap and rotatory arm changed lately and the car has only done 64,000 miles. When I bought it in September it was standing for about 6 months. I have also put WD40 on the HT cables and spark plugs and the damp was causing my car to misfire. My worry is that because I have had so many problems with it i am just making them up now :/.

Ps. Sorry for the bad wording I am dyslexic so its really hard for me to explain things XD. Thanks !!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1999 1.4CL Auto Car seems to be over revving.

Post by alexperkins »

It sounds like either the clutch is worn or the gearbox changes are lazy and it’s not up shifting. Either that or it’s stuck in sport mode
CiderPolo
New
Drives: 1999 Polo 6n 1.4 16V 100 AFH & '96 1.4CL

Re: 1999 1.4CL Auto Car seems to be over revving.

Post by CiderPolo »

One syptom of automatic boxes being short of their hydraulic transmission fluid (note this is distinct from lubricating oil) is that they excessively rev and fail to change gear at lower revs.
I'd change, or at the very least, top up the automatic transmission fluid in the auto box.