Temperature gauge issue.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
toxiclown
New

Temperature gauge issue.

Post by toxiclown »

Hello,

I'm new recently passed my test and picked up a 98 polo 3 weeks ago.
So when I bought the car the temperatue gauge was fine. Turned the ignition off it went all the way back to 0.

Last week I noticed the gauge was running higher than usual sitting at the marker just before 110. When the previous week it was sitting nicely at halfway. This is when I noticed when turning the ignition off it didn't go all the way back to 0. It's sat on the 3rd line before the 70 mark.

It's stayed at this stage until this morning when on the way to work the gauge was even higher sitting just past 110 but staying steady no jumping or going low dramatically. It stayed at that mark. Then turned it off when I got to work and the gauge is now sitting at 70.

My other half rung the mechanic that she goes to. He thinks it's something to do with the gauge behind the clocks something has come loose. But I'm not to sure, I've been checking the coolant and it's fine not low. I don't know alot but I know the basics, I'm a biker going to a car so I'm like a fish out of water lol.

So if anyone has had a similar problem or can suggest something I'd be greatful.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Temperature gauge issue.

Post by alexperkins »

It could be the clocks are faulty. Youd need to get it scanned with VCDS and see what the temperature shows on there vs whats showing on the dash and see if they agree
toxiclown
New

Re: Temperature gauge issue.

Post by toxiclown »

Ahh ok thank you. Since this post it's jumped up another notch. Car is still running fine but starting to think I won't have any gauge soon.