Gas pedal reaction delay

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Gytomi
New
Drives: 6n1

Gas pedal reaction delay

Post by Gytomi »

Hello to all!
I recently bought a 1996 Polo 6N 1.6 gasoline and my issue with it is when I cold start the engine the reaction of the gas pedal is delayed. Also I experienced sudden engine stops with warm engine. Than it won't start until the temp. of the engine drops a little under 70 degrees celsius. Another (I think related) problem is when the engine is idle, the rpm drops so low after a few minutes that it stalls. I wonder where to search for the problem. Anyone else experienced similar issues? Thank you fo you time.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Gas pedal reaction delay

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds like you need to replace the coolant temperature sensor. This is common on these and causes the symptoms you are seeing
Gytomi
New

Post by Gytomi »

Thank you. I will replace it and see what is happening. :)
Gytomi
New

Post by Gytomi »

alexperkins wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:14 pm Sounds like you need to replace the coolant temperature sensor. This is common on these and causes the symptoms you are seeing
After the replacement of the temp sensor the idle was stable and the gas pedal reaction was good aswell so thank you for the tip. Unfortunetaly a few days after the fix the motor stopped again and it wont start indefinitaly. I checked the distributor and it doesn't spark so I think the hall sensor went out. So when the new distributor arrives I replace it aswell. Hope after that the car will be fine :/ Thank you anyways for the help.