Flashing Oil Light

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Tarmacmuncher
New
Drives: 1997 6N Polo 1.4 CL

Flashing Oil Light

Post by Tarmacmuncher »

Hi there newbie here :D

Bought a 97 6n 1.4 CL on Friday, 78k on the clock, car drives fine have driven it over 300 miles over the weekend.
20180505_164536.jpg
However I have noticed that the oil light has been flashing, however this wasn't that easy to spot as someone has covered or painted over the bulb as you can only see the faintest of flashing.

I have read that the flashing is usually due to oil pressure and would be accompanied by a buzzing noise, however I do not have this ? Another note I will add is I don't hear the relay for the indicators clicking that easy, as if it has been covered to mute it.

Anyway back onto the flashing light. The oil level is fine and looks to be recently changed, as the oil filter looks brand new, am I right in presuming this will just be a pressure switch ? If so where is the pressure switch on the engine ? I have had a brief look about but it hasn't become readily apparent ( or I am just blind haha )
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Flashing Oil Light

Post by alexperkins »

I would get a pressure test done. If that passes then replace the oil pressure sender
Tarmacmuncher
New
Drives: 1997 6N Polo 1.4 CL

Re: Flashing Oil Light

Post by Tarmacmuncher »

Thanks for the reply Alex, will get a pressure test donne on the weekend and go from tre