Replaced Starter - Still Grinding noise

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Hayden1470
New
Drives: Volkswagen Polo 2000 6N2 1.6 GTI

Replaced Starter - Still Grinding noise

Post by Hayden1470 »

Hi,

My starter was making a grinding noise for a while so i replaced it with a spare one i had which i know was 100% working. It worked ok for a day but then the next morning it made the same grinding noise as last time... I checked all the bolts were still tight and connections were fine. Anyone know why it could have gone bad this quickly? I have scanned my car and apart from an abs sensor and coolant temp sensor popping up, the only other codes i get are:

17911 - Lead signal from alternator
00668 - supply voltage terminal

Does anyone know if these could effect the starter in any way? i also have a basic battery and alternator check. The battery is perfect but the alternator is running high according to it.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Replaced Starter - Still Grinding noise

Post by alexperkins »

You might want to check the bush it locates into on the gearbox housing (on the middle pin of the starter motor gearing), as if this wears down youll quickly ruin a new starter.

If alternator is running high, that can damage all sorts. Replace the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator and go from there
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

Hi mate will do, have ordered regulator just now and will change it asap, have a feeling it's more the alternator voltage that's messed it up tbh, did rear abs sensors today and one of the bolts has snapped.... Any tips for that? Lol .... Hoping this car will give me a break soon haha cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Goodo

The abs bolts - you’ll want some heat on the bolt (what’s left of it) and you’ll probably want to drill it out if there’s nothing left for you to get a pair of grips onto after breaking out the abs sensor
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

Not much left to grab unfortunately, yeah was gonna get a set of these, reckon they'd do the trick? Got the bolt moving ever so slightly with a little effort but all of a sudden the head went like chocolate... got it soaking in penetrating fluid overnight. Will also need a new bolt, don't suppose you know the size off the top of your head do you mate?
Attachments
Screenshot_20180914-215634.png
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

They will but be sure to buy a decent set. Cheap ones much very easily. They are designed to be hand extracted too with a handle and not a drill :)

It’s an M6x8 or 10 from memory. I can probably dig the part number out as it’ll be specific
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

Will do man, and will be hand extraction ones. Yeah if you could find the part number I'd really appreciate it, I know they are a tight fit even without the bolt but I'd prefer not to risk/bodge it.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I hope that you are using some proper release fluid and not just WD-40, I don't know the name of good ones as I seem to have been given some very good stuff that is blue and smells like it knows how to release stuff!

Extractors, the proper ones tend to be "ezyouts" and are tapered with 4 faces and get taped/hit into place, personally if buying a set of these "reverse" threaded ones, I'd aim to buy Dormier as, as Alex hinted at, ending up with a broken end of a cheap but hard extractor in that hole is only going to add to your troubles.

Also make sure that you can find out the correct drill size for use with these extractors, using either too small or too big size of drill is not good, good luck.
Hayden1470
New

Post by Hayden1470 »

Hey mate,

Just seen your reply, got bolt out easy enough, took the whole lot apart and replaced bearing aswell as was old anyway and had a spare new one sitting around collecting dust.

Cheers
WilliamButcher
New

Post by WilliamButcher »

My starter is getting pretty weak after 18 years of use, out of curiosity did you replace it yourself or get a garage to do it, also how much for?