Cam Belt Tensioner failures

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
frankeygsxr1000
Getting There!

Post by frankeygsxr1000 »

Hi there i recently bought a 2001 polo gti 2 weeks ago and took it to get the belt done to find the guide had collapsed and had melted of the belt that been rubbing on it what a ticking time bomb just waiting to happen from what i've read this tends to happen alot then eh ?
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

this isn't gti specific, I had this on my 1.4 16v (100bhp) polo.

I put it in for its 60k service and when changing the belts the mechanic was like... what the hell? the plastic outer of the tensioner had split and come off so as you said it was like a ticking time bomb. Was very lucky the belt didn't jump off and mess up the headers.

He said he'd only seen it once before and it was on a 1.4 16v skoda fabia, which most likely has very similar components to polos
chrischap2003
Bronze Member

Post by chrischap2003 »

Bloody good thing am doing mine tomorrow?!?! £125 for the cam belt kit, including tensioners.

Just noticed whilst looking through my service book that previous owner ticked cambelt change at 40k in different colour pen, phoned the dealer that completed the service and guess what, cambelt was not done and i am currently on 70k

Ive been a lucky boy if you ask me!?!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

1. Symptoms encountered - Weird blowing sound coming from the engine bay, noticed dip in power also.

2. How/Who diagnosed the problem - Local garage,

3. Any damage or injury sustained to your car or yourself - Nope, found it just in time!

4. Mileage of car when cam belt tensioner failed - Just over 50k

5. Year of car - 2001

6. Cost of replacement - Just shy of £300.

7. Any other information you want to share on this fault - Getting the water pump done at the same time.

If you car has not had this done by now, make it top priority! it really isn't worth waiting til it shanks

Here's a pic of the knackered tensioner:
avfcnutter
Bronze Member

Post by avfcnutter »

so am i right in saying the cambelt should also be changed at 80k or 4 years after last being changed? no one seems to have experienced problems around that mileage?
Overseer
Bronze Member

Post by Overseer »

I heard every 40k.

Although it seems my Cam Belt wasn't changed until 80k, lol. Had no problems though.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Every 40k, or after so many years.

Basically, If your car is still on the original belt, get it changed ASAP.
Joniboy
Getting There!

Post by Joniboy »

Tim_GTi wrote:
Here's a pic of the knackered tensioner:
Yeah mine was similar to that but with no plastic on it at all. The garage said they found most of it ratteling around in the bottom of the casing.

1. Symptoms encountered - Slight blowing noise and whistle coming from cam belt cover. Also had an intermittent loss of power. You could put your foot down at say 60mph and nothing would happen. Sometimes you could feel the power suddenly kick in and then restrict again... bit like taking your foot off the accelerator and back on again several times making the car kangeroo a bit.

2. How/Who diagnosed the problem - Me after reading this thread :D

3. Any damage or injury sustained to your car or yourself - No but the garage said another hundred miles or so and the belt would have gone. He said I was very lucky

4. Mileage of car when cam belt tensioner failed - 89K, but it is believed to be the second belt and second lot of tensioners according to history.

5. Year of car - 2000 (X-reg)

6. Cost of replacement - £210 for the cam belt kit (including tensioners) and labour. Used a garage in Sharpthorn - they are very good and are very enthusiastic about all cars. I take my '61 Beetle there to get MoT'd :)

7. Any other information you want to share on this fault - None that I can think off, just make sure you get yours changed or checked if you have any doubts
iggy350
Silver Member

Re: Cam Belt Tensioner failures

Post by iggy350 »

1. Symptoms encountered - How did you notice it
Rattling from the drivers side of the engine

2. How/Who diagnosed the problem - dealer, yourself
Had an idea of what it was, a garage round the corner from me confirmed it.

3. Any damage or injury sustained to your car or yourself
Can't say that there is any damage yet

4. Mileage of car when cam belt tensioner failed

5. Year of car
51 reg, Registed in Jan 02

6. Cost of replacement
£240 thanks to my NHS discount :)

7. Any other information you want to share on this fault
When you hear a rattle on your engine thats not effected by revs get it seen to right away :)
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

The exact same mileage that mine went Iggy!

Mine sounded like a Diesel, really loud when ticking over. VW diagnosed the problem and said I was very lucky indeed, they wouldnt even start the car again. Cost me over £300 but I had a full service on top so the total was £470 green queens.

I was ripped off in fairness but I didnt have any chance to shop around, I wont be going to Volkwagen again for repairs!

Ben
Pete95
New

Post by Pete95 »

My 'snapped' cambelt turned out to be a broken tensioner - obviously pretty serious results!

1. Symptoms encountered - How did you notice it
Felt something go, then the engine died on the motorway. Put in the clutch and revs fell to nothing and stop light came on. Hard shoulder time..

2. How/Who diagnosed the problem - dealer, yourself
AA suspected broken tensioner as the belt looked like it was either intact, or trapped. Garage confirmed.

3. Any damage or injury sustained to your car or yourself
16 bent valves, all valve guide damaged - top end rebuild required with a new cylinder head.

4. Mileage of car when cam belt tensioner failed

5. Year of car

6. Cost of replacement
£750

7. Any other information you want to share on this fault
Had noticed some occasional hesitating in the last couple of weeks when accelerating - may or may not be related.
Prabz
Bronze Member

Post by Prabz »

Hi guys... When driving the polo i get a knocking noise.. after reading everyone's comments sounds like it might be the cam belt and tensioner's... Just wondering if anyone can shed some light.. Bascily when driving there is no noise but when i start to brake and put my clutch down i start to hear a very loud knocking noise.... Can anyone help? was thinking getting vw to have a look but there gonna rip me off!...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Prabz wrote:Hi guys... When driving the polo i get a knocking noise.. after reading everyone's comments sounds like it might be the cam belt and tensioner's... Just wondering if anyone can shed some light.. Bascily when driving there is no noise but when i start to brake and put my clutch down i start to hear a very loud knocking noise.... Can anyone help? was thinking getting vw to have a look but there gonna rip me off!...
definitely not your cambelt. But I would chek the CV joints for splits ASAP. It could be your joint knocking as water's got in and dried the bearings out.

Split cv joint + knocking joint = new joint = expensive :(
Prabz
Bronze Member

Post by Prabz »

Thanks Tim... how would i check the CV joints.. or shall i just take it down to a garage ?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Prabz wrote:Thanks Tim... how would i check the CV joints.. or shall i just take it down to a garage ?
Your looking for this on the front wheels:

You'll probably have to jack the car up to get a proper look.

check them on both sides to see if there's any splits. You'll know if they're split because grease will be spilling out. If one is don't drive your car, and get one ordered ASAP. Vw dealers stock a cv boot kit for about £15.