Am I going crazy are the side mirrors different sizes

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Reeyad
Silver Member

Am I going crazy are the side mirrors different sizes

Post by Reeyad »

Just got up half Dead from lastnite decided warm up me car as it was frozen and I noticed that the drivers side door mirror is longer then the passenger side. :roll:

I have only had the GTi for less then a week so am still picking things up.

Now is this normally or does it mean that 1 side mirror was hit and replaced with the wrong one.

Please help peeps :?
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Dont worry, its meant to be smaller! They did it on lupo's as well. Don't really know why. A common mod is to fit the passenger side mirror from a LHD polo so they are both small.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Yup, perfectly normal! Cost you roughly £100 (ish) for a driver's side smaller electric and heated mirror, unpainted. Some GTi's left the dealerships with two smaller or two larger mirrors, if the owner picked up on it apparently it could be changed at the time of purchase!

The larger mirror's glass area width is 150mm, the smaller is 130mm IIRC.
Reeyad
Silver Member

Post by Reeyad »

Thank for the reply peeps............

I prefer the view u have from the larger mirror, however prefer the actual size of the smaller mirror on the car.

May be see what after market mirriors that may look good.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

i've left mine one big one small, think it looks kind of sweet
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

i've got the one big one small combo too, as standard

I guess you need more of a 'view' on the drivers side, so it is bigger?

hmm
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

the drivers has the wide angle lens bit whilst the passenger hasn't. I believe its for overtaking, eliminating the blind spot allowing you to see more of the lane next to you.
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

I've got two small ones! :shock:

:D
Reeyad
Silver Member

Post by Reeyad »

mikegti wrote:I've got two small ones! :shock:

:D
How do u find the angle view of them, coming from a previous mk 4 polo I find the passenger side mirror to small, prefered the view from the mk4 polo.

I may try and locate a left hand drive wing mirror and transfer it on
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

I've got 2 small ones too, they're pretty useless for visibility but I just do a full blindspot check most of the time anyway, I think they look sweet !
Randall
Gold Member

Post by Randall »

The drivers side smaller mirror is from when they are produced and are meant to be swapped round once delivered to the stealers - found this out from one of the guys in the parts department. rather odd looks etc :lol:
Reeyad
Silver Member

Post by Reeyad »

Randall wrote:The drivers side smaller mirror is from when they are produced and are meant to be swapped round once delivered to the stealers - found this out from one of the guys in the parts department. rather odd looks etc :lol:
Hey randall do u knw how much a larger left side mirror will be, and can they be ordered from UK VW dealers.....
Randall
Gold Member

Post by Randall »

Reeyad wrote:
Randall wrote:The drivers side smaller mirror is from when they are produced and are meant to be swapped round once delivered to the stealers - found this out from one of the guys in the parts department. rather odd looks etc :lol:
Hey randall do u knw how much a larger left side mirror will be, and can they be ordered from UK VW dealers.....
Hey Dude

Small Size (Jap) - 130mm
Average Size (Euro) - 150mm
Large - 170mm (not sure where these are mostly based)

Best off having a word with VAGPARTS mate they should be able to help you out and BTW the mirrors are in 3 parts

Cheers
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Hi, if anyone is interested, I have a 'large' cap, i.e. same size as drivers side, but for the passenger side. (150mm)

Its pre-painted in Reflex silver. Any interest? I have two for sale, both painted, couple of minor marks on each however. Overall perfect (painted by VW)

then all you would need is the glass to fit it :)

p.s. 170mm is AUS I think
Reeyad
Silver Member

Post by Reeyad »

inder wrote:Hi, if anyone is interested, I have a 'large' cap, i.e. same size as drivers side, but for the passenger side. (150mm)

Its pre-painted in Reflex silver. Any interest? I have two for sale, both painted, couple of minor marks on each however. Overall perfect (painted by VW)

then all you would need is the glass to fit it :)

p.s. 170mm is AUS I think
You have a PM