Trade in value of GTI

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mkone
Bronze Member

Trade in value of GTI

Post by mkone »

Whats with the poor trade in value for a GTI? Been looking around either Cooper S or the Clio 182 round the £13k mark and only getting offers of £3700 thats with everything in tip top condition. My cars a 2000 (W) full VWSH, MOT til Nov, 37k miles on the clock, full leather btw.
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

So they can sell it on for a better profit m8 :(

I'd try selling privately first
Alex_6n2
Gold Member

Post by Alex_6n2 »

you'll get about 5k privatly. If not more if its in mint condition
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

For some reason the 2001 versions are worth quite a bit more, no idea why. I was offered £4,900 to trade in mine.

Trade in prices are relative to the car you are buying, they either rob you on trade in or rob you on the car price. Either way, your getting your panties pulled down.
M6TT F
Bronze Member

Post by M6TT F »

I'd have snapped your hand off for a black 5dr with leather :( - always find the car you want once you've bought one!
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Perhaps 2001 models are worth more if they're on a 51-plate? Buyers automatically assume, for example, that a 51-plate is newer than a Y-plate even though both could have been manufactured within weeks of each other (I read that once) :?

I reckon £3700 or £3900 is about right for what you'd be offered, on a good day, for the average MY2000 GTi by a dealership on trade-in. Privately the same car with no major problems (you know, like paint or repair damage, uber-high mileage or something) is expected to get something like £4500 - £4750 i guess?
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

I recon i could get £5,000 for mine. Its in perfect condition. Ive seen 55 plate cars in worse nick.
LAN's GTI
Bronze Member

Post by LAN's GTI »

I was offered £4700 trade in for mine about 3 weeks ago, put it up for sale privately for £5500 and had some timewasters and people offering me silly money for it, and mine is in excellent condition, I haven't seen many better.

Have decided not to sell it now though, didn't really want to anyway, just wanted a bigger car, but now my father-in-law is getting a Golf TDi which I will have access to, so I've got the best of both worlds.
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

Keep the Polo and drop a 20vt engine in :twisted: . You'll have a quicker car with better build quailty than the 182 & Mini both of which have had quality issues and are far more common.
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

I may look into selling it privately stick it in at £5500 and see what repsonse I'd get, just seems £3700 for a decent car is a p*** take however saw it with my own eyes in the glass' guide at trade-in value. I've been tempted at getting an S3 but everyone I've seen seems to have a massive mileage I know there good for a few thousand but ideally would want something with less on the clock than my current car.
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

Keep the Polo and drop a 20vt engine in Twisted Evil . You'll have a quicker car with better build quailty than the 182 & Mini both of which have had quality issues and are far more common.
Just out of interest, how much would this cost?? :twisted:
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

£5500 iirc.
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

PhilGTi wrote:£5500 iirc.
Looks like you'll have change from £13k :wink:
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I got offered 5k for mine against a MK5 Golf GTi a couple of months ago, I'm going to see another one tomorrow I am hoping for between 4-5k as a trade in. Mines is a red 5 door x plate with 63k on the clock in good nick.

When you are trading in a car at a garage always go in with a silly value when they ask you how much you want for the car I started at 6k obviously way over book, then when they are getting close to what you want pop your hand out and say I will do a deal now if I get £x for my car. As long as you are not expecting silly money they won't turn down a deal for £300-400 as they are always going to make money on your car, I recon mine would go on the forecourt for 5.5k if not 6k at a VW dealer so they still have a fair margin to play with. I recon I would be looking at 4.5-5k privatly on a good day.
VDUBGTI
Bronze Member

Post by VDUBGTI »

my local vw dealer offered me 5800 for mine a couple of months ago they said they had a local buyer who was desperate for one, probably would have sold it on for bout 7 id say and mine hasnt got leather.

Its all about demand and supply, there are no other polo gtis in my area and i know of several people who are desperate to get one now they have seen mine, in fact many of my mates didnt even know they existed before i got mine!