Bye Bye GTi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mkone
Bronze Member

Bye Bye GTi

Post by mkone »

Well time has come been thinking about this one for a while..

So its bye bye Polo :cry:

Hello... Cooper S :)

I'm well chuffed with the Cooper S sorry to say but it kicks the Polo's ass, its everything I was originally looking for in the Polo and much more. Thanks for all the comments on here I'll be moving to pastures new www.mini2.com The new Polo GTi I took out for a test drive recently just didn't cut the mustard for the money. Good luck with all your GTi's old and new! I'll still be popping my head in every now and then.

Mark
IanW
New

Post by IanW »

:o very nice car's there! Not a big fan of the coopers myself, its a lot of money for a little car, but they do go fairly well! I heard the gear ratio's are silly long on them, like 70mph in 2nd? Looks like a nice car though:)
frazzle
Getting There!

Post by frazzle »

Lovely car mate! I would agree that it kicks the polo' ass, but then again no doubt it cost twice the price.

Have fun 8)
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

Ooh that is lovely mate. I really like the Cooper S.

You are right though. They are in a different league from the Polo.

Get some more pics up of it.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Good luck with the Mini mate, its a fine car 8)
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

argh noooooooo what have you done! hehe
the polo still is the winner out of the two
i can't stand the new mini or alot of the drivers of them! (im not tarring everyone with the same brush, its just the "i've got a BMW and im gonna sit up your ass" phrase becoming apparent again, then again its probably the stuck up area i live in!)
and whats so mini about it hmmm design fault?, its the same size as a Golf mk3 and has the same interior space as a lupo.

Enjoy your new car

-Ben-
Spunge
New

Post by Spunge »

nice motor mate. have say i do like thwm but i see more cooper s' on theway to work in week then i have seen polo gtis in the 13 months i have had my car. on the flipside they must be good if that many people own em. hope u like ya new car
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

Looks nice, you say it kicks the polos ass. Prolly only in performance. I see more coopers on my run to work than focuses and the interior is shiny plastic. However if its performance that you seek then good choice, all the best.
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

Good choice... I have a soft spot for the mini :)

Its a cool car... 8)
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

Here are some more pics for those who are interested...

I am sad to see the Polo go but it just didn't seem to be running the same as it did way back when even after a decent service. Plus with the niggles such as cambelt looming a new clutch would've been on the cards at some point too and the fact I was dieing to sort out the corroded wheels but never got round to it, just seemed like the right thing to do.

I wholly recommend all the doubters out there to get in one at some point and have a drive its something else around the b-roads. The only other car to come close was the Clio 182 but although it may have been slightly quicker just didn't have the same quality feel to it as I was accustomed to with the Polo. At some point in the near future I will be moving to a MK5 Golf GTi but for now this does me grand. Hopefully going to be looking at either a Works conversion or uprated pulley and supercharger to take it upto 210bhp.

Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

[quote="mkone"]Hopefully going to be looking at either a Works conversion or uprated pulley and supercharger to take it upto 210bhp.
quote]

Girlfriends sister has a Cooper S Works had a go of it and it goes like stink, like a go kart round the corners aswell only thing I would say is uprate the brakes to the John Cooper ones if you get the works kit the one I drove still had the normal brakes and they struggled abit.

The Mini is a great car, from driving the Mini and owning a Polo GTi the only areas where the Polo is better is the dash build quailty, its aircon and the Xenons seem brighter than the Minis Xenons every other area especially the handling are far superior on the Mini, you do see a lot of them on the road but not many Works versions.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Nice car, I'd say a worthy replacement
M6TT F
Bronze Member

Post by M6TT F »

I loves cooper esses too! - only downside is the boot is the size of a schoolgirls rucksack - waste of time if you've got a family, so enjoy it while you dont :)
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I quite like them, especially in dark grey with a black roof.

However they are pretty expensive, and no matter how 'retro' the centre mounted speedo is, it would do my head in.
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

Redline wrote:I quite like them, especially in dark grey with a black roof.

However they are pretty expensive, and no matter how 'retro' the centre mounted speedo is, it would do my head in.
it is very annoying but luckily on my mini i have the chrono pack so speedo is above the steering wheel hehe its all good!