THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
volkswagen16v
New
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:25 pm
Location: warminster
Contact:

Post by volkswagen16v » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:24 pm

Trust me people its not just Gti's.

I have a 1.4 16v and I have or have had all of the below problems.

Pedal box failure
Crunching into reverse
Crunching between all gears but not all the time
Gear stick rocking due to acceleration / deceleration

I'd love to know what the solutions are, racing saxo's and missing gears is not fun!

bristolgeezer
Bronze Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: bristol

Post by bristolgeezer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:04 pm

took my gti to vw last week to have my headlights aligned and they informed me that my peddlebox hasnt been recalled and its now booked in to be replaced the coming monday although after reading through this thread im not really looking forward to having it done.....

i dont have any problems with gear changes other than sometimes it takes one or two extra goes to get into reverse without crunching.

ash.

User avatar
alexperkins
Site Admin
Posts: 13750
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:29 pm
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 06 9N3 TDI, 11 Tiguan TDI
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK.
Contact:

Post by alexperkins » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Wahey mines just gone - f*** it to hell!!!

User avatar
Tim_GTi
Post Whore
Posts: 12287
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Newport, South Wales
Contact:

Post by Tim_GTi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 pm

alexperkins wrote:Wahey mines just gone - f*** it to hell!!!
S**t man, will it be sorted in time for Sunday?

User avatar
alexperkins
Site Admin
Posts: 13750
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:29 pm
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 06 9N3 TDI, 11 Tiguan TDI
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK.
Contact:

Post by alexperkins » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:00 am

Its going in this morning so i pray it will be (if not itll be courtesy car ftw!!)

smokeGTI
Bronze Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: HK SAR

Post by smokeGTI » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi all,

my pedalbox has cracked last week, this is what it's looked like
when crack (it's the recall one in 2004 already) :?
Image
Image

Need to take out the steering column before taking the pedalbox out....
Image


After Tig weld....and reinforcement done

Image
Image

One advice to those who still suffering from stock heavy clutch,
change your clutch if your pedalbox is still in good shape.
Cause the pedalbox won't break with lighter clutch. :lol:

User avatar
Tim_GTi
Post Whore
Posts: 12287
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Newport, South Wales
Contact:

Post by Tim_GTi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Nice work mate, did you do the work yourself?

smokeGTI
Bronze Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: HK SAR

Post by smokeGTI » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Tim_GTi wrote:Nice work mate, did you do the work yourself?
Yes I did that all by my self, excepted the tig weld. :D
tough job though :oops: need to bend and twist my body at all time.

pberry
New
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:25 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Post by pberry » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm

smokeGTI wrote:One advice to those who still suffering from stock heavy clutch,
change your clutch if your pedalbox is still in good shape.
Cause the pedalbox won't break with lighter clutch. :lol:
I was wondering which part was responsible. I assume, then, a stiff clutch will cause you to work the pedal harder which in turn will expose the relative weakness of the pedal mounts.

It's got to the point now on mine where it's creaking so badly that something catastrophic's going to happen before very long, probably a foot through the floor, a la Fred Flintstone! So in these cash-strapped times, and bearing in mind I'm in no postion to give it a go myself, what's the best plan? Have pedalbox replaced or clutch replaced? Ideally both, of course, but which one's going to be best to have done first?

I've heard a new pedalbox is only about £30 but it's the labour required to swap it out that's going to push the quote towards £200 all in I fear.

smokeGTI
Bronze Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:39 pm
Location: HK SAR

Post by smokeGTI » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:00 am

pberry wrote: what's the best plan? Have pedalbox replaced or clutch replaced? Ideally both, of course, but which one's going to be best to have done first?
Hi pberry,

I would do both at the same time if I was you,
and have the pedal box welded other than replace,
cause it's weakness, it will break again sooner or later.

User avatar
Tim_GTi
Post Whore
Posts: 12287
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Newport, South Wales
Contact:

Post by Tim_GTi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Definitely the pedal box reinforced first mate, once that's done it'll be able to handle to shoddy clutch. Although get that done as soon as you can.

A decent weld on a pedal box will be able to hold out on a heavy clutch.

A knackered weld won't hold out much longer on any clutch.

pberry
New
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:25 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Post by pberry » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Tim_GTi wrote:Definitely the pedal box reinforced first mate, once that's done it'll be able to handle to shoddy clutch. Although get that done as soon as you can.

A decent weld on a pedal box will be able to hold out on a heavy clutch.

A knackered weld won't hold out much longer on any clutch.
New clutch in and got fitters to spot weld pedalbox. It now drives like a new car!

£295 all in.

User avatar
Tim_GTi
Post Whore
Posts: 12287
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Newport, South Wales
Contact:

Re:

Post by Tim_GTi » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:46 pm

pberry wrote:
Tim_GTi wrote:Definitely the pedal box reinforced first mate, once that's done it'll be able to handle to shoddy clutch. Although get that done as soon as you can.

A decent weld on a pedal box will be able to hold out on a heavy clutch.

A knackered weld won't hold out much longer on any clutch.
New clutch in and got fitters to spot weld pedalbox. It now drives like a new car!

£295 all in.
Nice one 8)

Bepe
Platinum Member
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:12 am

Re:

Post by Bepe » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:44 pm

volkswagen16v wrote:Trust me people its not just Gti's.

I have a 1.4 16v and I have or have had all of the below problems.

Pedal box failure
Crunching into reverse
Crunching between all gears but not all the time
Gear stick rocking due to acceleration / deceleration

I'd love to know what the solutions are, racing saxo's and missing gears is not fun!

yeh its across the enitre mk5 range

crunching into reverse is you putting it into quick, as its not a sychromesh, put clutch down wait 2 secs then engage into reverse, you will not get no crunch,
and gearstick rocking is your gearbox mount, get it changed

tegwin
Gold Member
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Malvern, Worcestershire

Re: THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Post by tegwin » Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 am

looks like its a VW thing across all their cars....

I bought a T4 van this week and the clutch pedal mount is so thin.... it has snapped... so much for german engineering... Looks like I am going to have to remove it and weld a new plate on!


But as above... anyone with a suspicious pedalbox should get it out and have it welded to strengthen it... fitting a new one may result in fail again :(

Post Reply