leaking passenger footwell

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Ant_43
Bronze Member

leaking passenger footwell

Post by Ant_43 »

Hello, i seem to have found a leak (not the vegetable kind) in my passenger footwell. I just wondered if anyone has had this with their car and if so, where it comes from and how they fixed it.

Please help, my car's starting to smell!

ant
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

have you checked your rubber gromit located behind your glove box? it may be leaking or the seal damaged
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

might also be your door seal or air con :(
chunkychimpanzee
Bronze Member

Post by chunkychimpanzee »

I had the same problem before, and I figured it out it caused by the drain blocked. Bascially, the drain which near my pollen fitter was blocked by all these dirt and dry leaves. This is causing the water is going no where after the heavy rain. I think if you give that a good clean and unblock it then it should be fine. That drain hole should be located on ur passenger side, where its below the wiper. Should be right below your pollen fitter. I hope this will help.
Ant_43
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_43 »

Cheers for the quick replies people, i'll try to fix it tonight!

thanks
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

i had this problem, its a rubber grommit on the floor mate! rubber gromit is around £2 for about 3 grommits from volkswagen, it will be the grommit that has perished like mine! rip floor carpet up easy as!
Ant_43
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_43 »

I thought i'd fixed this, but after heavy rain today, i've just found its still leaking.

I've had a look in the pollen filter area, and cleared away the leaves etc, but its still leaking from somewhere. It seems to be dripping in from the underside of the glove box area - maybe the grommet as mentioned by Shantybeater. Will check again when i get a chance!
chunkychimpanzee
Bronze Member

Post by chunkychimpanzee »

Thats weird.... Maybe your grovebox area has been stored a bit of water in there for quite sometime?
dantheram
Gold Member

Re:

Post by dantheram »

shantybeater wrote:have you checked your rubber gromit located behind your glove box? it may be leaking or the seal damaged
Can someone please help me with this gromit? Location etc?

Water is coming in at the far left, from the littel gap where the glove box meets the door, i can see a yellow cable in there if that helps with others visualising the area.

Surely others have had this problem :?:
dantheram
Gold Member

Re: leaking passenger footwell

Post by dantheram »

the leak is right up in behind the dash board, its running straight down into the foot-well from there. where can leak right up there??!
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

check the scuttle panel for leaves around the pollen filter sounds like your drain holes are blocked
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

If i pour water around the pollen filter housing it all runs down the drain and comes out behind the wheel.

if i throw water at the car, aimed at the wing, then it literally pours in a few seconds after the water hits the car. its almost like there is a hole in the side of the car, the water gushes in as opposed to seeping. :cry:
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

Right as we've just had a massive downpour i took up residence in the footwell 8)

As the rain progressed the water does not enter the car, only after sustainted heavy rain does it find a way in, but, when it does its like a dam bursting.

this is making me think the water is pooling somehwere on the far left on the engine bay and then finding a way out into the car when there is too much of it.

any ideas?
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

windscreen seal = leak 1

door membrane = leak 2

resealing the the with sikaflex ebt and polythene sheeting, VW no longer make the 3d moulded membrane :(