Ouch, My wallet is bleeding!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
tegwin
Gold Member

Ouch, My wallet is bleeding!

Post by tegwin »

I just splashed out on a pair of new rear tyres for the car....

Yokohama S-Drive....really nice looking tyres and stick like hot sh*t...

£70 each for a strip of rubber is a bit cccrazy though!!! :shock:

The guy I bought the car from fitted a pair to the front just before I picked the car up, and 6000 miles later they are still sticking to the road woryingly well

Wondering if its really worth it though.....would the £25 budget pair they were offering me have done the job just as well I wonder :roll:
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

They are excellent tyres!

Had them in 195/40/16 fitted to my 16" RXII's on my old GTi and they were noticeably better than the Toyo's i'm used too!!!

Pretty expensive but well worth it in my opinion! After all, at end of the day, the rubber is the only thing keeping you stuck to the road! :wink:
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

id say stick with them. at the end of the day it really the tyres your relying on to keep u safe..... if the tyres grip your car wont slip..... plus budget ones are called budget for a reason. i got cooper tyres on the front wheels. im not saying theyre bad but for £57 a tyre they should be good. they have specially built side walls that if i got a puncture the tyre wont go totally flat but it will go down a bit but not totally as the walls are reinforced so the tyre stays on the rubber instead of then having the rim rest on the tyre itself.......... if that makes any sense.

plus it means u can take corners slightly faster then on budget tyres and the tyres grip to the road so u know they wont slip and slide everywhere which when it rains is a good thing.
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Hmm, think I will be replacing my Toyos with a set of them in the future
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

Get kumos and slide EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

I think you only notice the difference in the quality tyres when its wet... and for £32 per tyre fitted ill let it hang out abit :D

i seem to ware all 4 out at about the same speed :( i've never bought just 2 tyres at a time so price is usually quite a factor for me
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I just spent £220 on new tyres :(

Its a vital thing to purchasing, but something I'm never particularly fond of!
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Yeh one of those things you have to spend money on but would really prefer to be buying something nice with. I put it in the same catagory as Petrol, Insurance, Phone Credit, and haircuts.
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

Goodyear F1's all the time for me. Awesome tyre
womble68
Bronze Member

Post by womble68 »

I went for Michellin Pilot Exalto 2's all round last time I changed. From experience of cars with rubbish tyres, or those that are near their wear mark, good tyres are worth their weight in gold, especially since they're the cars only contact with the ground.
I'd say £70+ though for Yokohama's is on the high side. I just checked Blackcircles, and fully fitted they'd be under £60 each from them, and if you can find yourself a voucher they'll do 5% or something like that off that price.
I paid about £72 per tyre for the Michellin's, but I wouldn't suggest the Yokohama's are as good. I've had Yokohama Parada Spec 2's on a Civic Type R previously and they wore out far too quickly for my liking and weren't that great in the wet. This isn't just my experience a friend with a Mk2 Golf also found similar results.
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

The S-drive actually perform better in the wet...

Now I have four of them, I can corner almost as fast as when its dry :shock:
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

i know good tyres are a really good thing to have but i went threw 2 sets of toyo's (thats 8 tyres) in 6000 miles! set of stupidly hard kumos only last 8K at the most!
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

Andy.....have you still not been to the hospital to have your lead boot removed from your right foot yet???

I have experience with Kumho Ecstas, Toyo T1-r's and Yokohama S-drive's and would have to say they were all pretty good tyres. Kumho's were quite hard wearing but grippy enough, Toyo's were nice and grippy but did have a few scary moments of under steer on slightly wet/greasy roads...but the Yoko's seemed very very good! So guess you get what you pay for! :wink:
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

M@Turner wrote:Andy.....have you still not been to the hospital to have your lead boot removed from your right foot yet???
Yea im booked in for april when im swapping car for boat LOL

wonder if its anything to do with me working in a lead factory haha
Dan_B
New

Post by Dan_B »

£70 was that for 195/45/15? quite expensive dude, you can get them off www.blackcircles.com for £46.44. Or if you live round nottingham £41 off me ;)
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Thats £70 including fitting, balance, valves, disposing of the old tyres and VAT...

Does that still sound expensive?