The GTI! - Alex's Thread - Leather :D

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: The GTI! - Alex's Thread - Leather :D

Post by alexperkins »

What would the new toy happen to be?

That's some impressive mileage for the 1.4TDI. Turbo normally goes around 150 lol
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

Tim_GTi wrote:I am most definitely getting old and sensible! :(

Can't even find time to wash the car at the moment, let alone tweak it!

James do you still have the Porsche tucked away?
I know the feeling all too well, yes i've still got the Porsche - it's not going anywhere!
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

alexperkins wrote:What would the new toy happen to be?

That's some impressive mileage for the 1.4TDI. Turbo normally goes around 150 lol
Really? There seem to be plenty near 200k on clubpolo!

I don't want to say yet mate, just incase it falls through! I'll update you when i've got it! We must catchup soon
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

How much did the rain sensor windscreen cost you? My old car had one, but new ones doesn't, but I have a rather special version of the auto-dimming rear view mirror
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You can pick them up on eBay from mk4 golfs fairly cheap. The wiring is different colours but the pinout is the same

The most expensive part is having a new windscreen and the gel pad for the rain sensor!

What mirror have you got?
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote:You can pick them up on eBay from mk4 golfs fairly cheap. The wiring is different colours but the pinout is the same

The most expensive part is having a new windscreen and the gel pad for the rain sensor!

What mirror have you got?
How much was the windscreen and gel-pad? The mirror I have is a Passat W8 one which has red led down lights and a button too
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That one might not fit the polo windscreen. As far as I'm aware. It needs to be a mk4 golf, 6n2 polo or Lupo to fit

Have you got a photo of its mount?

Windscreen was £75 under insurance and gel pad £15
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote:That one might not fit the polo windscreen. As far as I'm aware. It needs to be a mk4 golf, 6n2 polo or Lupo to fit

Have you got a photo of its mount?

Windscreen was £75 under insurance and gel pad £15
It's ok as I already had it fitted to my last Polo-exactly the same shape and mount etc. I got it to be fitted at some point, but when my replacement auto-dimming one leaked like the original one, I thought I'd better get it fitted sooner!

How did you manage to get the windscreen done on the insurance as they usually say it has to be exactly the same, but of course you already had the other rain-sensor stuff fitted ready?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ah ok cool :)

I had already put the wiring in for the rain sensor and changed the relay so it was ready to go

If you have the screen done they'll bring a pad

I said it had a rain sensor fitted and they didn't question it when fitting the new screen
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Did you get the loom made or buy it from VW? Also with the rain sensor disc, did you buy this or get it 2nd hand? Do they come off and fit easily etc? I thought the rain sensor was in the mirror base that fits to the windscreen, but have since found maybe this isn't the case?

I currently have the mirror and the 427 relay and the little fitting kit for the mirror (glue & mesh or something?). I just gained a bit chip on the windscreen yesterday with little lines out from it in the wiper area. It could crack etc at any time, but even if it doesn't this might fail the MOT? Anyway, I want to have everything ready for when it needs replacing as no way do I want to end up having a new normal windscreen fitted!
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Re: The GTI! - Alex's Thread - 6R coming soon!

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:29 pm So, thanks to Joe, I now have full colour concept leather fitted in the GTI :D

I also ordered up a 6N2 GTI heated seat loom from Kufatec, and modified it to work with the Mk3 heating elements as the electrics are quite different between the years with VW moving all the relay gear into the switches instead of under the seats

Couple of pics...

Wiring installed

Switches installed

Seats all done

Considering its 18 years old, its in excellent condition, and I must say I'm very pleased with it
I have some heated seat switches and have seen looms for sale and was thinking of this. Did you buy the heating elements/pads on their own or buy the mk 3 seats and take them out? Or did you buy mk 3 seats with them already in? Have seen aftermarket heating elements/pads for sale, but don't know how good they are!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Might be best we have a chat on the phone about it. PM me your number and I’ll give you a call on Monday as it’s quite hard to write down without having discussed it first

In simple terms, you need a new gel pad from VW, you have to make the loom yourself and it plugs into empty points on the plug down near the bonnet pull

The rain sensor locks into part of the mirror base. The windscreen just has a metal circle that houses it and the rest of the mirror casing attaches to it
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

As for the seats, they are genuine Mk3 heated seats. I used a polo 6N2 heated seat loom and modified the wiring under the seats as the heated seat switches have the relays in rather than the old relays under the seat being used. Works perfectly. The loom came from kufatec
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24 am Might be best we have a chat on the phone about it. PM me your number and I’ll give you a call on Monday as it’s quite hard to write down without having discussed it first

In simple terms, you need a new gel pad from VW, you have to make the loom yourself and it plugs into empty points on the plug down near the bonnet pull

The rain sensor locks into part of the mirror base. The windscreen just has a metal circle that houses it and the rest of the mirror casing attaches to it
Think it's the gel pad that I must have-I'll find it with the part number soon. Will PM you.