disc sizes?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
azialex
Getting There!

disc sizes?

Post by azialex »

hiya i know its been ask a few times. gonna buy some tar-ox or black diamond front discs and pads.

anyone know what size i need for discs and pads? just rang a company and they said there are 3 sizes 2 choose on list, need to check on the car, just think it will be faster here if anyone knew.
or anyone have a link on website store that will be better?

cheers

Alex
bbspolo
Gold Member

Post by bbspolo »

there is only one type for of pads and disks the polo gti!!
off the top of my head i think the disks are 265 but im sure some one on here will conform that for u!
kinder
Bronze Member

Post by kinder »

the discs are 256mm and they should know the pads as there one set that fit but i woulsnt go for the tarox pads get the tarox discs and some feroda ds pads
bbspolo
Gold Member

Post by bbspolo »

:cry: :cry: :cry: lol new its was something like that! :lol:
kinder
Bronze Member

Post by kinder »

yer but also if you are goin to put the money into it then why not go for the g60 280mm upgrade all you need is the 280mm g60 discs and the carriers you can use your calipers and pads this is wat i done only a few months after buyin tarox for the polo in 256mm but th difference wiht the 280mm is so much better
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

kinder wrote:yer but also if you are goin to put the money into it then why not go for the g60 280mm upgrade all you need is the 280mm g60 discs and the carriers you can use your calipers and pads this is wat i done only a few months after buyin tarox for the polo in 256mm but th difference wiht the 280mm is so much better
G60s really isnt that much of an improvement - in fact, you dont actually get any more brake disc...just a larger gap between the edge of the disc and the hub mounting lol.

I think it has made a minute improvement, but polo brakes are just not great generally :(
azialex
Getting There!

Post by azialex »

cheers for help, i know there is only one size for GTI, it's just cos i got some black diamonds from Halfords but they got me the wrong ones, so next time i'll go 2 find some (not Halfords!) i know what size i need.

well, i would do 280mm but i need aspp. MOT is overdue by 4 weeks

but i might still do it the 280mm.....
bbspolo
Gold Member

Post by bbspolo »

alex your spot on! larger disks only help the tinest bit 2wards improving brake eficency as brake effecency is all down 2 clamping force (which fitting bigger disks cant help! :( )

the main reason for fitting bigger disks is it helps dissapate heat better thus improving brake fade!

for those that dont know break fade is what happens when your brakes get 2 hot and u get a spongy, soft fealing! (normaly after a long fast drive)

there is a realy good site that explanes all about the more tecnical side of breaking! if u intrested ill see if i can track down the link (it is a bit tecnical though!)
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

the 256mm Disc are the same as mk2 golf gti. Makes it easier to source them.
Petar001
Getting There!

Post by Petar001 »

neilw wrote:the 256mm Disc are the same as mk2 golf gti. Makes it easier to source them.
no it is not the same !

Golf has 256mmx 20mm
and polo gti is 256mmx 25 mm
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

G60 280s are PURELY for looks. If you've wheels that reveal them and your into that, get them.
azialex
Getting There!

Post by azialex »

anyways.... got my self a set of Black Diamond 12 Groove discs and Black Diamond pads £190

not 280mm disc, just standard size.

not bad, VW were gonna try and sell me a set of starndards for £125 discs and pads.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

well, here comes the physics!

the futher from a point of rotation you get the higher the force multiplier

imagine a push bike wheel. move the pads toward the centre and you wont stop as well

think of it this way.the outer edge of the disc is traveling faster (in m/s) than the inner edge of the disc. so therefore there is more that the pad can do when it gets to the outer.

another way of looking at it is:
the more weight you have between the suspention mountings and the road surface the slower your suspension will react. discs weigh loads so why would all the oem`s destroy the responsiveness of their suspension?

suppose the touring cars are using 330mm discs cos they look cool ;) (just teasing :P )
on the flip side though, if you go too big then the brakes may have too much of an easy life and never get to optimum temperature