2001 polo gti speedo and fuel guage probs......

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
dave-g
Bronze Member

2001 polo gti speedo and fuel guage probs......

Post by dave-g »

hiya guys....(again lol)

just been out for a drive in my polo, as i've just got it back from having the gearbox done, but for some reason, outta the blue the speedo went dead, and the fuel guage decided to continually go up and down? any ideas what could of happened? its had a new speedo sensor, and one new injector fitted, but othe rthan that i don't have a clue what would be relevant?

any help would be much appreciated, i just want a day of pain free motoring!!!

cheers guys
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: 2001 polo gti speedo and fuel guage probs......

Post by Tim_GTi »

Have you checked all the relevant fuses?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It sounds like they took a ground strap off somewhere, which is making the dials go nuts.
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

i attempted to look at the fuses but don't really have a clue where to start the symbols mean nothing to me....... any numbers you could suggest anybody??

wher abouts are the ground straps located to just so i can check, the fuel guage is still constantly goin up and down :?

thanks for the replies and help guys, i appreciate it!!
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

iam pretty sure there is an earth strap onto the gear box, maybe that isnt on properly or needs a good wire brush for better contact
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

right guys, ive checked EVERY fuse in the fuse box, and on the battery cae thingy, and wire brushed the gearbox earth strap so thats clean as its gunna get, any idea where theres any other earth straps on the engine anywher or any other wires that may be promising??

cheers guys!!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Check your negative battery lead is connected to the chassis properly as they have to have the battery out normally to do the box.
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

yeah i thought the same earlier, the battery was out, and the neg lead was tugged around a bit, so may have done something there i gues.i disconnected the bit from the gearbox and cleaned the connector up, and then reattached it all. it was weird though, was just driving along and suddenly the fuel guage started moving up and down (tends to a lot around corners) and the speedo sits on 0mph. when i turn the ignition on though the speedo needle twitches a little, as if it does have life still, and the rev counter and temp guage still work.........its soo frustrating why it did it!! :oops:

again thanks for taking the time with this guys, i really appreciate it!!
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Hi Mate,

It will be the speedo drive. Its screwed into the gearbox at the front - and then a connector plugs onto it - it then gives a reading to the speedo. This also makes the petrol gauge do weird things - done the same on mine.

I managed to snap the pin inside me after a long mway drive, got one from a scrappy (£10) or £30 from the dealer. Two secs to fix - just a deep socket and unscrew the sensor and fit the new one (if it needs one)

Neil
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

i took the sender apart yesterday during the day, but it was replaced in january time, just wondering if when the bloke fitted it that he yanked it or damaged it, spose its better spendin 30 to try than 300 if its not lol.
did your fuel guage constantly go up and down, and move randomly by itself? and the speedo sit on 0mph?
thanks for your help mate :wink:
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Yeah, it sat at 0 and twitched. The fuel gauge had a mind of its own - full then empty, then level then not LOL... all the polos have the same sender - so maybe get down a scrappy - or try a mate with a polo's sender!

Neil
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

yeh thats a good point, my mates got a gti so might try his tomorrow and see what happens! it sounds like the same problem that you had so worth a shot!! :D

thanks mate!
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

these are exactly the symptoms mine started doing, hopefully this thread has saved me alot of time & money, cheers 'sorted'
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

haven't managed to check mine as of yet, but on another negative note had four new tyres fitted and they've ruined all of my wheels!!! ripped the laquer of my rh cup blacks, and scratched all the lip up too. damnit!!!!

they're refurbing them as i write this lol. i hate amateur tyre blokes :cry: its poop.

spoke to another mechanic, just cos he was at work who reckoned that the gear that drives the speedo is broken, which fingers crossed it isnt!!! i'm hoping/praying on everything its just this switch!!!!! gunna try a scrappy tomorrow, just to check it out :D
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

I have exactly the same problem!
But thats because I used the gearbox from a 1.4 so the plugs for the speedo and the reverse light switch are different.
Fuel gauge, goes down when I turn right or put my foot down and goes up when I turn left or brake! lol