Jumping/Not Working Speedo

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
N3_OLP
New

Jumping/Not Working Speedo

Post by N3_OLP »

Well not sure where to begin so im guessing the start is a good point!

My girlfriends was driving the polo today (about twenty mile round trip to go shopping) and then came to pick me up where i jumped in the drivers seat. I noticed nearly instantly that the speedo was jumping around going from 20 mph back down to 5mph and then back up again when i was going a constant speed of about 30. I stopped to get some petrol and it done it again :? :shock: :?

Does anyone know what this could be (speed sensor or something)?

Any help would be great cheers

Luke
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Jumping/Not Working Speedo

Post by alexperkins »

Its probably the speedo drive located on top of the gearbox housing. If its not that, its a bad ground on the clocks somewhere.
N3_OLP
New

Post by N3_OLP »

alexperkins wrote:Its probably the speedo drive located on top of the gearbox housing. If its not that, its a bad ground on the clocks somewhere.
Im guessing it must be a bad groud as the petrol gauage has started doing the same thing. Do you know know how the clocks come away from the dash so i can hopefully find the loose connection?

Cheers
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Its the speedo drive on the gearbox , think its like a 32mm deep or sumthing to get it off, 25quid for a new one! This also makes the petrol gauge go mad!
N3_OLP
New

Post by N3_OLP »

Well it seems to have stopped without doing anything (well for the time being) so im going to leave it as it is atm.

Thanks everyone for your help, im thoughts are still that i will need it in the near future!
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Mine is doing the same thing, i took a sensor off the gearbox (towards the back of the gearbox by the bulkhead, it unscrewed and it has a pin/spline inside the sensor that turns.

The only numbers on the part i could see where these ones:

I have tired looking on ebay for vehicle speed sensor but the parts look nothing like this one, is it the right thing and does anyone know the part number for a new one ???
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

PM me your chassis number (WVWZZZ etc) and ill send you the part number you need bud
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

PM'med Alex

Cheers :)
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

I finally manged to get my spedo working again, the VAGCOM results pointed to the speed sender so i replaced that, but it was the pinion underneath the sender that had broken (The teeth on the pinion had snapped off).

One new pinion and £3 later, all fixed :D