Tom's GTi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
wilde67
Getting There!

Re: Tom's GTI Progress Thread

Post by wilde67 »

Small Update!

Havent been on here in a while, or given my Polo much attention lately, so thought it about time I showed it some love. I had to spend some money on 2 front tyres and a clutch lately, so just trying to do some cheap things now. Nothing major yet, just a few little things. I got this for my bday,
so I should be able to get it nice and clean again!
Got hold of a cheap aerial gasket as my old one has gone all green and horrible, not had a chance to fit it yet though.
Finally got around to getting some legal pressed made,
Really happy with them, dont know why I waited so long to get some, best £30 ive spent so far. Also decided to get some holders at the same time as I didnt want to drill the plates. Not too sure on them yet, but I think they are growing on me. Heres a quick pic of the rear fitted (sorry for the filthy car!)
I'm planning to get some of that Halfords tape to do the red grille as ive had 3 ebay rubber ones and they fade too quickly. Also got hold of a spare VW badge that I might spray black, but not too sure on that either...
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice Update Tom :D looking good mate

Pressed plates make one hell of a difference, makes it look so much fresher

Not seen you on here for a while, so glad to see you still have the GTI 8)
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

Looking really nice dude. I went for the plate holders also, and they defiantly have grown on me.

Nice autoglym kit also, although throw the sponge away and get a nice wash mitt instead 8)
wilde67
Getting There!

Tom's GTi

Post by wilde67 »

Had a quick clean today, and thought id share the results with you guys. Thought it came out ok, seeing as I only washed it, so no polish or wax etc and my uni house doesn't even have a hose pipe! I also replaced the red grille rubber ebay thing with the tape the other day, looks miles better now. (Sorry about yet more iphone pics, but I only have that with me at uni too.)
Also noticed when cleaning that I have loads of little black marks on the car, which I'm guessing is tar, but it won't seem to budge at all. And if it does just leaves a nasty brown smudge, any ideas how to get rid of this?
Godderz23
Platinum Member

Post by Godderz23 »

Looks clean man. Sounds like tar for sure.

Best thing for tar is this: http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/autosmart ... litres.php although its fairly expensive and serious stuff!

I'd try autoglym tar remover 1st if i was you. http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/autoglym- ... 15-off.php

Chris.
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Looks good dude,always gives them abit more life giving them alittle wash.

As for removing the speckles of tar i normally use a clay bar,anything like this will do the trick.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/megu ... y-bar.aspx
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yep clay bar will do the tick here!

Nice pics, am very intrigued as to how you managed to clean your car without a hose pipe!
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Tom's GTI Progress Thread

Post by nigelelliott394 »

ONR?
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

I have cleaned mine without a hose pipe before and it was an absolute nightmare.
Took me about 2 hours for just a simple wash, back & forth to the sink
Verity
Gold Member

Post by Verity »

Looks really good!
Very tidy!

I couldn't manage without a hose. Did the bucket thing last winter when the hoses were frozen.
Never again! ....good exercise tho.
wilde67
Getting There!

Re: Tom's GTi

Post by wilde67 »

Yea cleaning with a bucket does my head in! Back home now though, so I have a hose pipe now, which speeds things up a lot :)

Was thinking of selling up over the last few weeks as I've finished uni now, but decided I can't afford what I want yet so the Polo is staying for now. So I have decided to fix a few a few bits and pieces that have been annoying me to keep it nice and tidy to see me through the next few months. Started with a trip to Halfords today to get some caliper and high temperature paint. Wanted to paint my rocker cover as its all chipped and manky now, although I got stuck at the first hurdle, I couldn't get the HT leads out. Never taken them off before, so didn't know how rough to be?!

So ended up trying my calipers. I forgot to take a before pic, but as you can imagine after 10 years and 70K miles, they looked pretty awful! Took me a while to get it neatish, but looks so much better now! (only managed one so far, as even at home I still have no drive or garage!) Anyway, here are some pics;

During (after 1st coat)

And an after

polodriver
Getting There!

Post by polodriver »

Hi Tom

Just bought a 6N2 last weekend. Where'd you get your interior handles from and also the pressed plates?

Rich
wilde67
Getting There!

Post by wilde67 »

Hi Rich!

I got the grab handles direct from my local VW dealer. They come apart in a few pieces, so you only need to buy the bits you need. Think it costs around £20 a side for all of it. Here are some part numbers (stolen from the common parts thread)

Drivers side grab handle (dark grey) 6N0 867 180 E
Insert for drivers side grab handle (dark grey) 6N0 867 198 B
Passengers side grab handle (dark grey) 6N0 867 179 E
Insert for passenger side grab handle (dark grey) 6N0 867 197 B

The plates came from a company called Dubmeister in Taunton (http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/), which I believe are one of the only places that makes UK legal pressed plates. You can send off your V5 etc to make them or they can make them while you wait, they cost £30 for the pair I think. I'm pretty sure you can get them from shows too, but I've never made it to one to find out.

Hope this helps!
chrisb
New

Post by chrisb »

polos looking good mate, how is the red grille trim held in? glued or just pushed in?
wilde67
Getting There!

Post by wilde67 »

Thanks! The red stripe (on the latest pics) is actually tape, so you just cut it too length and stick it on. Think its called 'style stripe' you can get it from Halfords and only costs a few quid :)