Should i get this polo GTi or stay well clear? Please Help!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
shahin156
New

Should i get this polo GTi or stay well clear? Please Help!

Post by shahin156 »

Hello guys,

i am really new to this forum (registered 5 mins ago :P).

I found this polo gti on autotrader.co.uk and i dunno if i should stay clear of this one or go for it.

A few Details:

from a Car Dealer Garage
2000 - X Reg
72000 Miles
5 Doors
Black
Cosmetic Modifications (Tailpipe, Wheels, Window Tints? and red lip on front grill) is what i can spot. Can anyone find anything else on it?
NO SERVICE HISTORY!!! - This is the main one i'm worried about.

please check out the advert http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 341360989/ and tell me what you think.

thanks in advance
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Should i get this polo GTi or stay well clear? Please Help!

Post by alexperkins »

Service history is quite important in my opinion - if there is nothing, i'd personally stay clear of the car.

As for the rest of it, the 17" alloys could well have rubbed through the arch liners, as they are too big for the car. Also, the battery power distribution block isnt mounted properly - there could be many things wrong with it that arent too obvious

My advice, would be find one with a decent service history, so you know whats been done, what hasnt, and how its been looked after realistically.
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

I woudlnt touch it, no service history, those massive wheels would of chewed the gearbox and differential bearings too...not good
shahin156
New

Post by shahin156 »

Thanks guys for the quick replies, i had no idea that this one has been in the trader for a while. To the previous question about service history, i texted the seller and they told me that it had none. i only started looking for another car a couple of days ago. There are loads of really really nice examples for sale but soo far away. the closest nice one is about 60-70 odd miles away and i'm only a student :P

To be honest the insurance is pretty cheap on them for me, i'm 21 and had my licence for about 4 months now and i got quoted about £1000.

At the moment i've got a 51 plate 1.4l 16v fabia comfort and well, it has more electrical problems than i can shake a stick at (my luck that i get a bad example of an ok car).

Guess i'll keep looking. But really appreciate the advice, you guys saved me from another nightmare with a car. Much appreciated guys :D

p.s. if anyone has any for sale (prefrerably the 5 door, mum doesn't approve of a 3 door one :) ) in the birmingham, walsall, sutton colefield etc. area, within that price range, let me know :D
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I travelled 400 miles to get my GTI - dont limit it yourself to the locals. Theres some really good ones around!
mark-o-polo
New

Post by mark-o-polo »

I'll second that - I went from Darlington to Hayling Island to get mine, over 300 miles each way, but it's worth it to know you're getting a decent one!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I travelled 4 miles for mine 8)
shahin156
New

Post by shahin156 »

Tim_GTi wrote:I travelled 4 miles for mine 8)

You jammy dodger :shock: Only 4 miles, well i guess some people are just lucky. BTW, could someone please advise as to how much a nice example, 2000 Y reg, 5 Doors, FSH, about 60-65000 miles, Silver, should cost? i reckon about £2,500 max! Does that sound ok for price? or should it be lower?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I would say that's a pretty low budget, there are alot of GTis going for that nowadays, but a good 3.5k would be money well spent.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Tim_GTi wrote:I would say that's a pretty low budget, there are alot of GTis going for that nowadays, but a good 3.5k would be money well spent.
I Second that! You can get a decent GTI with full leather now for 3.5K and it will be money well spent.

The GTI's have their faults like all cars so you want to make sure you get a good one with respectable mileage and a full service history.

I had to travel over 150 miles for my car but it was certainly worth while. The better GTI's tend to be advertised on Autotrader rather than ebay, piston heads etc etc. You would be lucky to find a decent GTI for 2.5K, asking about the gearbox & cambelt history is essential.

Good luck finding one :)

Ben 8)
shahin156
New

Post by shahin156 »

Tim_GTi wrote:I would say that's a pretty low budget, there are alot of GTis going for that nowadays, but a good 3.5k would be money well spent.
What i meant was that i would pay around £2,500 max for the car with the specs i stated in my earlier post. True that i have found some crackers for around £3,250 to £3,500 on autotrader, but at this present moment in time, i just haven't got the finances for a car of that price.

However, i will definatley, definately get one ASAP!!! :P Hopefully in the next few months in time for easter. wish me luck guys :D
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

I feel like i may have paid a tad too much now for mine :oops: .Ilove it though,good luck finding one matey you wont regret it.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Bradley wrote:I feel like i may have paid a tad too much now for mine :oops: .Ilove it though,good luck finding one matey you wont regret it.
I expect to see decent GTis to go between £4-4.5k to be honest.
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

I paid £4100 for mine about 5 months ago.1 previous owner (Retired elderly school teacher),full VW dealership service history,Pedal box recall done,New cambelt done,new clutch had 23,000 miles when i bought it and in immaculate condition inside and out.I love it to peices and at the time the research i had done the price seemed reasonable with the condition etc.Do you think it was Tim as have more experience with these than me?.

Brad
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh I think that was a good price, there are a lot of poor examples out there going for next to nothing which brings the averages down. Meaning when a nice one comes about all of people think it's overpriced, which is annoying.