garage used different oil

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
nickpolo
Gold Member

garage used different oil

Post by nickpolo »

hi guys,

local garage did an oil change last week for me, they refilled with 5w40 instead of the usual 10w40 - - does this matter?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: garage used different oil

Post by alexperkins »

It can make a difference - thats a thinner oil than what is recommended for the engine. I'd get them to change it back to the proper as they haven't done a proper job!
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply - have spoken with the garage and they say they have a database system that tells them exactly what they can use... They are double checking this for me... in the meantime I spoke to VW and they say it's fine to put 5w40 in the engine - i'm confused now!!
acid drop
New

Post by acid drop »

Nothing wrong with using a 5w40 oil instead of 10w40 all it means is the oil has the characteristics of a lighter grade when cold (at start up) but is the same as a 40 grade when hot.
wheelmanwayne
Bronze Member

Post by wheelmanwayne »

I had the same problem at my mates garage the other day but he used 10w40 on my GTI which gave me an oil check light we then changed it for 5w40 and its running perfect now!!
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

good-o - reassuring to know everything is okay then - so really it's an improvement over 10w40 that i've been using previously?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The engine should have 10w40 in it as per factory spec, but a 5w40 can be used if its put in. You can even run fully synth 0w30 in the engine if you like, but not many do it as its expensive!

Surprising the 10w40 gave you an oil check light - you sure it wasnt a filter problem at all?
wheelmanwayne
Bronze Member

Post by wheelmanwayne »

alexperkins wrote:The engine should have 10w40 in it as per factory spec, but a 5w40 can be used if its put in. You can even run fully synth 0w30 in the engine if you like, but not many do it as its expensive!

Surprising the 10w40 gave you an oil check light - you sure it wasnt a filter problem at all?
no filter problem as we just put a new one on, i got the check light and pointed at the filter myself put another on and still had the check light on, drained it overnight, another new filter lol got meself some hi-grade 5w40 and the light was gone happy days
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

very odd indeed. I have never heard of that on a GTI lol
wheelmanwayne
Bronze Member

Post by wheelmanwayne »

my mate paul's gti run's on 5w40 too which is why i tried it on mine!
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

I run with 5-30 in mine.

Used that grade for 3 years without an issue
P0l0_GTi
Bronze Member

Post by P0l0_GTi »

My polo always has been with 5w40 :idea: For now i am with Castrol magnatec 5w40. You cant have any problems

nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

the castrol website recommends 5w30 when i put my registration in?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

VW spec for the engine is 10W40 - just checked ETKA
rydale13
Getting There!

Post by rydale13 »

Im no expert on this subject but I spend hours researching the best oil to run in my 6n2 GTI.

The first number 0w or 5w, just tells you what thickness the oil will have when the engine is cold, 0w or 5w is perfect for UK temperatures, especially now its winter. Basically the higher the number, the thicker the oil, which means it takes longer to reach vital parts of the engine when you start it from cold!

The second number 30, 40 etc tells you how thick the oil is when the engine reaches temp. Which one you go for totally depends on your driving style. If you have your GTI in the higher revs frequently, 30 is better because it can flow better when the engine is at high speeds, therefore better protection and less resistance on the engine, so slightly better engine response.. 40 is better is you change gear early as it protects parts sligthly better, but also has more resistance on engine as it is thicker, No biggie if your changing gear early.

I run 0w 30, because I want my engine protected the min the key is turned. (Thin oil when cold, and when I drive hard in the summer, I want better protection in higher revs!) Im using castrol EDGE. Expensive but fantastic oil.

As long as it meets VW 503.00 spec, VW are happy for you to use it in your engine.

0w40
0w30
5w40 all support this spec!

Hope this helps guys..

Luke