Victim of the big freeze!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
dantheram
Gold Member

Victim of the big freeze!

Post by dantheram »

Evening all,

Tonight i ran my gti in to a stone wall in the bad conditions. Im looking for some advice off those who probs know better than me. The front bumper is smahed up, hence the foglights and headlight washers are totalled. The bonnet has been pushed back and is creased on one side. The damage is all cosmetic in essence and is not as bad as it could have been.

Can anyone suggest how much it will cost me to restore my polo to its former glory?

Thanks,

Dan
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Victim of the big freeze!

Post by Tim_GTi »

Are you sure this is all that has been damaged?

As I would assume the slam panel has gone, check both headlights, both bottom arms, both front wheels, check the whole chassis for any signs of creasing including roof and sills, does the engine run ok?

If it's just what you've stated that has been damaged, then I'd look for a donor car from a scrapyard or online (forums, ebay etc).

If your lucky and find one in the same colour as yours and all the parts from the same person, maybe £200?

It'll start to stack up if your buying parts from different people, and they're in different colours to yours etc..
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

Checked the car over in the daylight today and all front lights are working. The driver side fog is free from its mountings but is fully functional. The headlight, on the same side, is fully working just not covered (same for indicator).

Engine is running fine and no signs of any other damage. What i did forget to mention yesterday is the driver side front wheel is nearly touching the caliper and there is very little gap between the wheel and the strutt, im hoping its just a bent wishbone but im not sure.

Thanks for the info Tim,

Dan
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hope it's just the bottom arm indeed!
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

I have question about the headlight. My headlight is in full working order but now has no casing around it, is it possible to buy the casing and refit the light inside it?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

You can get them separately to an extent, you gotta seal them properly then though. Have you got a pic of the damage?
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

i'll try and post a pic up soon.

I think the poor old gal is going to the graveyard as far as im concerned. Mechanic looked it over and reckons the damage to the wheel is going to be quite severe i.e above my threshold for it being viable to repair it.

With the afroementioned in mind, what would you reccomend i do? im leaning towards trying to get as much as i can for the car in its current state, which i reckon would be £900-£1100-ish.

So the question is what car next?!?!?! im open to any suggestions, ideally i want something a little more powerful and easy to modify.

Thanks,

Dan
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

ouch - feel for you mate
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ohhh doesn't look good mate.

How much can you get for it exactly?
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

Probably get a bit more through breaking it?
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

i think breaking it is the way forwards, another gti consigned to history! :(
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

ahah, whats the Wing Mirror Glass like? Ok Condition? I'd be interested in that.
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

Actually, and some other parts, IF you're going to break. PM me and i'll give you a list i'd be interested in.
Thanks alot.
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Thats unfortunate man,i know id feel the same but would find it hard to part with my pride and joy.Still onward to new things think positive.I'd be very interested in a few parts so also drop me a PM is you decide on breaking.

Brad