gearbox query

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
nickpolo
Gold Member

gearbox query

Post by nickpolo »

had my gearbox reconditioned about a week ago, since getting it back it sometimes feels very notchy going into gear, and then other moments it's as smooth as silk and just how i'd like it to stay.

I remember when I first got the car I got VW to put a jig on the gearbox and check the alignment - I seem to remember this made a difference to the feel - I'm wondering if it needs this again.

The thing that really annoys me is the bulk of the time it's notchier than i'd like, and then every so often it's spot on - don't understand why it eould be changing like that?

ANy one else had anything similar? got any thoughts?

Ta!

N
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: gearbox query

Post by Tim_GTi »

How many miles have you done with it?

May just need wearing in. Mine took a month or so before it starting feeling right.
robato
New

Re: gearbox query

Post by robato »

I had a re-conditioned gearbox put into my Polo GTI around October last year. I've done about 1500 miles since then but it's still got the notchy symptoms you described.

Sometimes a bit stiff getting into 1st so need to jiggle it about. 1st to 2nd feels a bit sticky and really have to force it in. Reverse is pretty tough in the mornings, sometimes I try about 20 times to get the gear to engage. After a bit of driving it does all smooth out though and for me, it's generally smoother than notchy. It's mostly noticable when I start the car cold and try to drive off quickly.

No idea what the cause or solution is though as I'm no mechanic but car seems to be going well still.