remote key question

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
nickpolo
Gold Member

remote key question

Post by nickpolo »

Hi Guys,

Have been looking at the how to flip key guides, and ordered myself an empty key from ebay which I received the other day...

However I noticed on the side of my existing key it says 433mhz as the frequency, and on the casing of the new flip key it also says 433mhz - this would imply you can get internals that operate on the same frequency as the key I have at the moment - does this mean it could be programmed to open my car rather than me faffing around triming my exisiting key internals down?

I have already transferred the imobiliser chip over, so I'm just wondering if I got a new 433mhz internal board for the flip key - could it be programmed for my central locking/alarm?

Thanks guys!!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: remote key question

Post by alexperkins »

Its not as easy as that Im afraid - the keys on these cars have to be paired properly. Specific keys work with specific systems as they use complex algorithms to scramble to code to stop it getting stolen, and each different set is unique in one way or another.

Even VW dealers cant pair these keys if they arent for that model, so you may have some difficulty with this one.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

thanks for the info - feel a bit clueless about this!!

So I may be better continuing to follow the how-to guides and trimming my existing board to fit?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Be careful doing that - if you damage it, a new key will be £150!
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

i'm using the spare, so worst comes to worst i'll have a spare that only works in the lock!
Silverblue
New

Post by Silverblue »

On a slightly different topic, when I’ve tried to open the car by just using the key in the lock I find it unlocks the car but the alarm stays on. Is there something you need to do to deactivate the alarm when using the key in the lock?

Thanks
S.Kayani
Bronze Member

Post by S.Kayani »

i think the alarm stops once you put the key in the ignition.

i need to make a spare key for mine, only got one!! wonder how much thats gona cost!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Press the alarm buttons when its in the lock - normally works.

As for the spare key - its £75 for coding and youll have to get it and get it cut also.
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

Seems like an aweful lot of work for a flip key,you must really want it?.In my industry we use Access control readers with simular limitations,technology called "I Class" they're readers that cannot have the coding or frequency in which they receive on to be copied so each user fob or card is never able to be duplicated.If our keys have a simular technology you're looking to pay some serious money for this to work.

How have you got on so far?,is it one of them things you wished you never started?.
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

Think it's going fairly smoothly so far - I've only shelled out £15 for a blank key off ebay - I'm having it laser cut at the weekend, i've transferred the immobiliser chip into the new housing, so just need to trip down the board slightly, link the battery contacts to the recess in the flip key housing and then figure out how to fill the gap between the buttons on the board and the fob.... watch this space!

Might seem like a lot of work, but my key is looking tatty and have fancied doing! lets see if i regret it soon!!
6n2si
Getting There!

Post by 6n2si »

I found a new shape 'square button' 433Mhz flip key for sale, apparently quite rare, majority are 434Mhz, they only came with v5 golfs or something. Drilled the original glass vial immobiliser chip out of if, dropped my rectangular one in the hole, programmed the key in the door of the car, got a blade cut and it all worked!

There is a guide on clublupo:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35847

Hope this helps 8)

Oh and blades off ebay can be dodgy, mine didn't work when VW cut it, they had a spare blank lying around, cost me a fiver to get cut. Don't let Timpsons spin you some "it needs to be sent to Germany" story, its a load of c*ap :D
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

If your really cool you'll do the bentley fob mod 8)
Minstral
Getting There!

Post by Minstral »

just had a look at the guide and you can get the 3 button fob that has the boot button as well, does it work automatically with the boot or does it need to bwired in?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

It won't work automatically as the 6N2 doesn't have a boot pop solenoid.