Flat spot

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Ant168
New

Flat spot

Post by Ant168 »

Hi,

I want to ask if anyone here experiences a slight flatspot when they hit around 1.5k rpm like I do?? The rest of the rev range seems fine and pulls strong up to the redline. I remember coming across weak HT leads or coilpacks could be weak points on these Gti's?

Cheers
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Flat spot

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Hi Ant,

It's certainly worth checking the HT Leads & Coilpack but often it can just be down to a dirty throttle body.
Remove the airbox cover & filter and just give the throttle body a good clean with carb cleaner (inside & out)

It gets very greasy & dirty so it's worthwhile cleaning it every 12 months

Ben,
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Post by nigelelliott394 »

I've had a flat spot now between 2k - 3k for the last while. Haven't really sourced the problem but it's pretty annoying since that's where you spend most of your time when you're driving normally.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

nigelelliott394 wrote:I've had a flat spot now between 2k - 3k for the last while. Haven't really sourced the problem but it's pretty annoying since that's where you spend most of your time when you're driving normally.

Is the flat spot evident in every gear Nigel or is it mainly noticeable in 4th & 5th?

Truth is it could be several things, best to do a list of potential causes and try eliminating them one by one, something could possibly show up on Vagcom too.
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Flat spot

Can't say for certain right now Ben but next time in in the car I'll test it out a bit. I've kind of just come to accept it and kept telling myself "oh it's probably just the leads or plugs, I'll sort it eventually"
No VAGCOM errors at the last test either.

However, OP I recommend checking VAGCOM if you can for errors and se what the results are
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

While I can't say I've got a particular flat spot (just misfires -_-), I have got VAGCOM in Aylesbury/Oxford areas if you ever want to scan it and are local?
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Flat spot

Ant, I took my car out for a drive yesterday and noticed the flat spot in mine lasted until just after 3k revs. Where does yours last until?

I also noticed that whilst mine is there in all gears it's especially noticeable in 4th and 5th as Ben suggested. Is that normal?
Ant168
New

Post by Ant168 »

nigelelliott394 wrote:Ant, I took my car out for a drive yesterday and noticed the flat spot in mine lasted until just after 3k revs. Where does yours last until?

I also noticed that whilst mine is there in all gears it's especially noticeable in 4th and 5th as Ben suggested. Is that normal?
I've also had a little drive today and noticed the car's roughness more than before. It seems to be similar symptoms to your's as it's anything below 3k and seems more frequent. the car seems to splutter and hold back power. I wanted to have a closer look at the causes (throttle body + air filter etc but weather isn't looking too great and I've been running around trying to find a nice headunit...