Sam's GTi Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Samuel434
Getting There!

Sam's GTi Thread

Post by Samuel434 »

Sup all :)

Been a forum stalker for a few years now, about time ai posted! I'll add photo's when I'm home. Last saturday I got myself a black Polo GTi! My 2nd 6n2 GTi in my life. The first one had to go as I was young and broke and couldn't afford to keep fixing it. Found out - just before i sold it - it was bent as a nine bob note! This one drives straight, but needs some TLC.

I've ordered my CDA, got me a red grill trim, new HT leads, the front and rear GTi badges as the current ones are faded and nasty.

The plan for saturday is a headlight restore as they look like I've been off roading, even after I washed it! Fit the CDA, sort the stereo out as it doesn't work at all. New one is ready to go, just need some time to it it.

With Christmas coming I can't throw as many pennies as I'd like at it, but I'm planning on getting my new baby looking mean and shiny over the next few months. Humbug!

Booked in next week for wishbone, top mount and an inspection - so I know how much I need to save to get it running sweet!

The drivers seat doesn't heat up much (heated leathers! :mrgreen: )
Anyone got an idea of what it could be before I get brutal and pull it out?

Sam :)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Re: Sam's GTi Thread

Post by Samuel434 »

CDA installed, red grill trim added, shiny new badges!

More to come soon :)
Moosegirl
Gold Member

Post by Moosegirl »

Welcome! Nice GTI there :D

Looking forward to the progress 8)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

It's just gone in for the wishbones, track rod ends and top mounts! And whatever else they find wrong. :(

Stuff to make my music sound better will be ordered after I've paid for this lot.

I'll keep posting as it progresses :)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

Playing camera man at work!
Verity
Gold Member

Post by Verity »

Looking nice :) look forward I more updates :)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

Sorry for the lack of updates! With Christmas etc. been on hold whilst saving up. I'm getting the car back from the garage this week after a full service, new brakes all round, the drivers seat sorted out and a list of things that need attention.

So, it drives nice now, and I'm gna spend some money on the looks. I got GTi Anniversary door sills to go on, and I want to get the engine bay looking sexy. I've seena photo (which I can't find now to link of someones GTi engine bay with R8 caps and a chrome cold air feed. Where can I get the chrome cold air feed from? Going to get red silicon hoses, respray the head in the red, and just generally clean it up and make it shiny.

Wheel refurb is on the menu - if I can't find some 16's to put on - they seem to be rare sa rocking horse s**t!

Sam
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

So, £1200 later and it driving properly again, my plans are again on hold, so I decided to restore the headlights as it is cheap...although it was bloody freezing today! They look 100 times better, but I am going to have another go next weekend as I reckon I can get them better again. Previous pics show how they were, and this is now! (Excuse the indicator that is missing, the guide clip snapped off when I removed it :cry: )

Still haven't got round to putting the new sidelight bulbs in, but I actually have a day off work saturday, so I can do it then :) I think I am going to paint / buy all red bottle caps and hoses and play with that lot too, get some colour coding sorted under the bonnet! Still can't find a metal cold air feed anywhere... any one have one or point me in the right direction please? :)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

And just as I was starting...

I used Meguiars Headlight Restoration kit, but that sucked. So I started with a 400 grit sand paper, left to right, then 800 up and down, 1200 circular motion, finishing with 2500 in a circular motion, and polished with 3m fine cut compound polish. Then went over it again with the restoration kit previously mentioned. :)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

So, decided to change the bulbs today, decided removing the bumper was going to be the most hassle free way...

Bumper removal!

And after I gave her a bath and filled her tank up, with the new bulbs :)
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

Nice work there mate. Lovely car 8)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

Endi_GTI wrote:Nice work there mate. Lovely car 8)
Thanks dude :) - a long way off yours but give it time :wink:

Ordered some little things today, will update with pics when they arrive and I've fitted them. Only something small but payday is a few weeks off still :cry: Pressed plates should be here soon! Well, that's what they keep telling me at least. Next weekend I shall cut and refit the engine cover, hopefully without any mishaps :P
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Lovely car mate 8)
Lloydiexx
Bronze Member

Post by Lloydiexx »

Yay another Black one on here, Welcome and look forward to seeing your progress and updates :)
Samuel434
Getting There!

Post by Samuel434 »

6N2 GTI 00 wrote:Lovely car mate 8)
Thanks mate :) Not as lovely as yours!
Lloydiexx wrote:Yay another Black one on here, Welcome and look forward to seeing your progress and updates :)
Thank you :) I want your seatbelts Lloydie! Where did ya get ya plates from? I'm thinking that mine will never arrive :(

As the weather gets better and better the progress will keep coming :D