Toms GTI thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
hallie123
Getting There!

Toms GTI thread

Post by hallie123 »

Hi everyone, im new to the site.

Had my eye on the 6n2 GTI's for a while so started saving up for one

Eventually bought myself a GTI a couple of weeks ago, took a quick picture of it after the valeters before driving it 150 miles home :D Image

Going from a 1.1 fiesta to this was the best feeling! nice to have a car with a pair of nuts an build quality to it.

immaculate interior and exterior apart from a key mark on the passenger door from some little scrote who clearly wasnt a fan :x (will post a picture soon)

so first thing on the list is to sort that out!

Any feedback is welcome, i will try my best to update as i go, money is a bit tight at the moment so things will happen slowly but surely
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Re: Toms GTI thread

Post by 6n2stan »

Yes, another black 3 door :D

Welcome mate, you won't regret it. Looks like you've already got a stubby drivers side door mirror fitted too?
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Now that's what I'm talking about, look at the condition of that!
It still surprises me that you can pick up 6N2 GTIs in that good a condition at this day and age.
I had a 1.1 Saxo so I know exactly what you mean about going from a car that gives nothing to one of these, such an excellent feeling!
Welcome to the site mate :)
Check out my build thread if you get the chance and want some ideas about stuff to do and don't hesitate to PM me if you got any questions.
hallie123
Getting There!

Post by hallie123 »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yeah already had the stubby mirror! i didnt realise they wernt standard until i read a few posts on here haha.

Ive been through your post a few times tom (this could get confusing as were both called tom with black gti's haha) loving the look and definatly going to pinch a few ideas and make it my own!

Very pleased witht the condition :) apart from the key scratch down the door i said about everything is immaculate for a 13 year old car.

Heres a picture of the scratch, the cars filthy as its been on the drive for a couple of weeks but you can make it out fairly well

Any ideas on what would be the best way to get rid/cover up/minimise it without breaking the bank? A guy in halfrauds recommended turtle wax colour magic with the chipstick...
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

hallie123 wrote:
Ive been through your post a few times tom (this could get confusing as were both called tom with black gti's haha) loving the look and definatly going to pinch a few ideas and make it my own!
Ahhh fantastic! Yes I was thinking the same about the black GTI and Tom thing! I see it's not just the same name we share :wink:

I have quite a few scratches over the car, although nothing quite as bad as that, but as an initial idea and what I use and seems to work pretty well, is the black T-cut. It will put the colour back on so minimise the standing out of the scratch and will also try and restore points where it isn't too deep (although it's quite hard to tell from the picture).

The last pictures I put up are when I used black T-cut, poorboys black hole glaze and then some turtle wax. Came up a shiny treat :)
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

Hi Mate welcome along, take a look at my build thread http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... &start=375
as i explain my key mark situation and cure. That scratch to me looks like it'll come out mostly with a DA polisher and some cutting compound.

if you run your fingernail across it does it catch your finger nail or glide over it?
hallie123
Getting There!

Post by hallie123 »

I was thinking of using some t-cut but doesnt that dull the clear coat and make it hazey?
by the looks of your cars finish i guess not haha

yeah parts of the scratch catch my fingernail when i run it across :/

i havent got access to a DA polisher either sadly
hallie123
Getting There!

Post by hallie123 »

While i was in halfords the other day browsing the waxes and polishes i thought i may aswell pick up a 25mm blanking grommet to de-wiper the rear, had a bit of spare time today so thought i would get it done while its not raining! Sorry again for the filthyness of the car it still hasnt moved off the drive
Handy tip: Use some clear silicone sealant for peace of mind that you wont get any leaks!

And too my luck the second id finished and closed the boot... it started raining :lol: